BigBox Dual nozzle offsets

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ray, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have worked out the offsets for the 2 nozzles, in my previous printer (Wanhao Duplicator 4X Sailfish) I can enter these there such that the printer work out the offset this means the tool generating the gcode doesn't need to know what offsets there may be. Is this possible with the BB or does the relevant gcode always have to be entered into the Simplify3D (or other slicer)?

Regards

Ray

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

You would need to specify it in firmware or using the appropriate G-Code command that I can't remember. I think the G-Code is better personally.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Firmware is a rather bad idea because you have no option to change it on the LCD yet. You have to recompile it every time you wanna change it. Annoying when calibrating the stuff printing calibration parts.

You can put the value into S3D if you like, there is an option on the G-Code tab under "Update Machine Definition" but don't forget to tick the option "Apply toolhead offset to the G-Code coordinates" on the left side under "G-Code Options".

What I use is the command M218 T1 X... Y... in the start script. Depending on the selected extruder in my S3D profile I do set the offset of extruder 0 with M218 T0 X... Y... too when printing only with second extruder...

#3 Alex9779, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    PsyVision likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, I am currently specifying it in the S3D Starting Script as below:

;Dual nozzle alignment
    M218 T1 X34.7 Y-0.4

My concern was what if someone sent me an existing dual gcode file, I wouldnt have the option to specify it unless I manually edited the gcode, the other issue was that I kept forgetting to add the gcode into S3D and so my prints would be out of alignment, I guess Sailfish made it easy by having the menu option to adjust it in the firmware.

I wonder how hard it is to update the firmware to allow it, I am a C/C++/Jave/C# developer.

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

With S3D you should really have a profile setup for dual printing, then you would use that and not have to remember to add it.

Updating the firmware wouldn't be too tricky for a seasoned C/C++ dev.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Regarding this and your other post go and get into the code and hack us all we want! :D

It has been a goal for a while by Ultimaker to make the code machine independent. For this there is a setting S3D cannot use, it is to use volumetric extrusion. With that you can set almost every filament specific setting on the printer. Ultimaker did this with a special Gcode flavour called UltiGCode. They moved init sequence, filament parameters and stuff all into the firmware. But S3D cannot produce this code, only Cura can.
    The time where you can slice a model and go with the file to this printer and then to the next is still not here...
    Between Ultimakers when using Cura maybe yes, but for everything else no.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and BTW at the moment you have to accept that you have to check every single setting each time you slice something.
    You can probably make up a nice profile, like I did, with some basic setting, but you will have to adjust them here and there every time for every new model.
    The most annoying thing is that Marlin doe not support different steps per mm per extruder at the moment, you have to hack that in the scripts every time, and every time you have to check that, maybe you didn't save your profile, mostly you do not wanna do this because of the poor profile management of S3D. Maybe you slice something for a different material or load a factory file. You have to always check the scripts... No way around...