IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

bigbox_idex_bowden.png

I have been working on a Bowden IDEX design for a few weeks and am ready to let is loose into the wild. I was never fully happy with the Direct IDEX design due to the loss of build volume and the lack of a dump zone.

This new design is fully compatible with all versions of BigBox. There is a minimal loss in X of around 25mm, but you still retain the use of the dumpzone. There is also no need to modify the frame.

The files are available from thingiverse | https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2073946

I have included the S3D .FFF File, a precomfiled RC8 .HEX, a control script for OctoPrint to add filament load / unload functions and of course all the .STL files correctly orientated and chamfered for best printings.

scripts.jpg

Requirements (additional).

2 x NEMA 11 Stepper Motors. (You'll need an extra 1700mm Cable. I have a few in stock, if you are building this upgrade and purchase parts from E3D add a note to the order that you would like a motor cable).
    2 x LM8LUU Bearings.
    2 x F604ZZ Bearings.
    8 x M2.5 8mm Socket Cap Screw.
    2 x 20mm M4 Grub Screws.
    2 x 8mm M4 Grub Screws.
    4 x 45mm M3 Socket Cap Screws.
    2 x 16T GT2 Pulleys
    20 x GT2 belt (2 Meters).
    10 x PTFE Tube (1 Meter).
    2 x 460mm 8mm Ground & Hardened Shafts (cut down original BigBox 484mm Rods).
    1 x Endstop (those are not the correct ones but if you put a note in the order that it is for a BigBox we will make sure you get the correct endstop).
    1 x Blow Fan (If you mention it is for the BigBox and ask that they speak to me I'll make sure you get the fan).
    1 x Stepper Driver (These are the same A4988 Drivers but in a different design).

If you are upgrading from a Pro BigBox you'll also need a Hotend and PT100 Amplifier board and matching cable (ask for the cable when you order)!

When printing the parts you'll also need this | https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1531536 and an extra X-Carriage belt tensioner.

I would also recommend this too | https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1755929

I am sure there are a few minor things I have overlooked. I will update as required.

2017-01-31 09.57.14.jpg

ASSEMBLY NOTES

• Do not refit the rubber o'rings into the X-Carriages, they are not required. Any offset in Z in managed via the M218 command.

Attached Files:

#1 Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Looks great, what's the longest print you have tried, I thought I remember hearing people over heating the nema 14's

3. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

About 17 hours. If the steppers are correctly tuned they will be fine. There is very little mass so I have them turned down low. I am also using TMC2100 based drivers. I am testing them at the moment with a view to stocking them. So far I am very impressed.

4. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Would something like this work with this system as well? With a little tweaking of course.
    https://zesty.tech/

I know you want to sell the BigBox extruders, but this just looks really interesting.

#4 eca, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Yes of course. You'll need to model your own mounting plate for it all to fit, but there's no reason why it won't work.

6. Miasmictruth

Sounds good is that the drivers on the Duet? Just received my Duet last night but haven't had a chance to dig in yet.

#6 Miasmictruth, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Similar series, the duet uses TMC2660.

8. Miriam

Miriam Active Member

Did you try printing any flexible materials with this?
    Bowden usually doesn't handle flexible materials well.
    Where is the z sensor? under the platform?

9. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I think he uses the Z sensor mounted on the bed. I personally would like one on each carriage. For use with the DuetWifi

10. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I haven't and this is one of the disadvantages of a bowden system over direct drive.

The sensor is on the bed | https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1531536

11. eca

eca Well-Known Member

This is why I want to see if this will fit a Nimble from Zesty. Not sure how much space is needed on the upper part. I just sent the .stp file to the Zesty crew and see if they can modify the mounting points in the upper part of the x-carriage.

12. Miasmictruth

Would be interesting if we could somehow turn a titan into a remotely drive extruder, that said I would probably defeat the purpose of this design :/

W1EBR.Gene likes this.
  13. Miasmictruth

So torn right now, I already have one bowden printer, If I do this conversion then I will have no direct drive setup :/

14. Miasmictruth

Is it 275 for both or just one and something like 250 for both?

15. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

275mm for both, it is possible to stretch it to 280 for both but you'll need to be surgical with the wiring.

Miasmictruth likes this.
  16. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

2017-01-31 16.30.20.jpg

Test cubes from left and right extruders. I have resorted back to RC6 as RC8 is too buggy for IDEX.

17. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Printed at the same time by any chance?

18. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Nope, I have been fighting with the firmware for the last few days. T0 extruder performed brilliantly, but T1 did not. Both with esxactly the same setttings. I was trying to figure out what it was, RC8 is buggy for IDEX/DUAL, and those were the cubes after I fixed it and swapped back to RC6.

This very moment I am printing a dual benchy....

2017-01-31 17.17.06.jpg

It will be done in about an hour....

TimV and Miasmictruth like this.
  19. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

I got my Prusa Original I3 mk2 so I finally can rebild my bigbox 1.0 dual. Do I need any more parts? I allready have 2 Titan extruders.

20. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Alignment looks great. What's with the nozzle? Looks like a huge amount of it poking out the bottom of the sock?