IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I wouldnt wait for this to come out in kit form either. Its basicly source and print the parts yourself, this is more of a guide.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

No one mentioned any kits, or upgrades. It is labelled as a development branch. However I am more than happy to help you source parts and guide anyone who wants to convert to the Bowden or Direct IDEX system.

I am blessed, or cursed, with an insatiable desire to improve and push the BigBox forward in both design and function. I also want people to come along for the ride so I try to make it as cross compatible as possible. In this latest IDEX Bowden I have made it as close to unmodified (besides a few printed parts) as is possible.

I have not, in anyway, abandoned this project.

Colin, W1EBR.Gene, AndyVirus and 3 others like this.
  3. markoaurelije

markoaurelije Active Member

I was thinking of direct IDEX and a decision to switch to bowden.
    Greg, all thumbs up for your efforts.

4. zorco

zorco Member

Ey Greg, that "parts" list for the IDEX Bowden is realy short compared with the direct idex... First, I got a BB 1.1 Hybrid today. I have ordered all items on the thingiverse page..

But dont I need another stepper driver for the extra X motor i guess?, GT2 pulles, more belts, etc etc when building the bowden idex?! or have I missed something now, it feels like that =) Or is the "buy" list the same on direct as the bowden?

5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Hi,

You are right there are a few more extra bits. Some are listed further along in the thread but I shall update the parts list. Some thing I forget myself!

zorco likes this.
  6. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Greg, what's your take on using Titan with a flex shaft drive? I know that it is laid out to work with the stepper motor but I have 2 of them and they are not cheap and they work well. I suspect that a flex drive approach to a direct drive IDEX might be the combination that uses the entire print area AND avoids the Bowden issues.

I am hoping that any slop in the flex drive is so small that the extruder accuracy is not compromised.

UPDATE: This is the link to the remote stepper extruder ==> https://zesty.tech/

#46 W1EBR.Gene, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    gearmesh likes this.
  7. Miasmictruth

Can you put a link to what your refering too I am curious.

gearmesh likes this.
  8. eca

eca Well-Known Member

It should be possible. There isn't that much slack in flex shaft drive. I forget what the Titan has for a gearing, but that pretty much reduces the slack by that magnitude. That is why I like the Nimble, it has a 30:1 reduction pretty much eliminating the slack. Since I have the original Bigbox, before the Titan, I have decided to go that route. Not sure how easy it is to modify the mounting points for the Titan to fit on this small of a carriage.

9. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Give it a go guys. There's no reason it shouldn't work. I have no experience of the Nimble so I can't comment on its performance. My concern would be with print speed, if it uses a 30:1 reduction that is going to severely impede max extrusion speed. Steppers can run at no more than ~900RPM, even at that speed they are are little iffy. You can combat potential problems with missed steps by reducing the microstepping, but you'll still probably run into the MAX RPM of the motor.

It would be interesting to hear someones experience of using one....

10. eca

eca Well-Known Member

They designed them to run on Deltas and have shown videos of them running very fast and not having problems with the extrusion, just the print quality from the speed. And I don't plan on running my tinter at Delta printer speeds.

11. Miasmictruth

Don't worry, ordered the parts not long after you posted it. :)

gearmesh and Greg Holloway like this.
  12. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The reason it is hard to get motors moving at high RPM is that as the RPM increases, so do the back EMF due to inductance (because the drive frequently increases) and the back EMF due to rotation. When these exceed the supply voltage, torque starts dropping off. See https://duet3d.com/wiki/Choosing_stepper_motors#How_to_work_out_the_power_supply_voltage_you_need for how to work out the supply voltage required to maintain torque up to a given target speed with a given motor and drive current. In summary, to achieve high speeds, you need low inductance high current (but not too high for your drivers) motors and a high supply voltage.

mike01hu likes this.
  13. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Does the dual bowden release mean that mirrored Titans are not coming anytime soon?

14. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The Mirrored Titans are in production and are coming soon. I don't have a date, but they are definitely coming.

15. zorco

zorco Member

Thanks, now I have ordered the rest of the items on the list, all that could be ordered from e3d was ordered there with your comments on the fan, endstop, long motorcable etc, I hope I will get the right stuff now =)

but now when Im writing this I think, maby I shoulf have ordered a endstop cable also? =p gah forgot that totaly! and hmm voltage to the other blowerfan should also be needed I guess on a separate cable?

16. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The BigBox parts all have the correct length cables.

17. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

R Design, Miasmictruth and mike01hu like this.
  18. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That is a large print! The telescope project is obviously going well. I've just finished the mirror cell for my 14" and I am about to post the pics on the forum.

19. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Ooooh. That poor thumb nail:). Looks like it was a real nail-biter.

20. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

There are fewer and fewer lasercut pieces! ;-)

What was the print speed and how do the bowden-IDEX results compare with what would have happened with a 1.1 Dual?