IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

It is printed at 40mm/s

It would be a little unfair to give a direct comparison with a standard hybrid 1.1.

This IDEX machine has been fitted with some forthcoming extra upgrades that make it have a much higher performance . I will say that this is the first time that particular part of the telescope has been printed successfully.

2. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I hope the upgrades are hotend related and not mechanically, I would hate to do my upgrade and then find that it would have been better to hold off.

3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Greg, please comment on whether it makes any sense to use the bowden IDEX design you have put out there. If the performance upgrades negate the work you have published, I know I can't afford to do anything other than continue to wait.

4. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The upgrades do not negate anything, they simply improve what is a great update.

The upgrades are TMC2100 stepper drivers and integrated leadscrew stepper motors.

I have been testing the TMC2100 with a view to stocking them at E3D, this looks likely as they are a great improvement. You can get them now direct from here | http://www.watterott.com/en/SilentStepStick You'll also want some heatsinks. These are the best upgrade, they are simple to fit and massively reduce the noise. I will be doing a how-to feature on fitting them to the BigBox shortly.

The integrated leadscrew stepper motors are being made as direct drop-in replacements for the BigBox.

Both upgrades will be available in a few weeks. I don't have dates yet.

5. W1EBR.Gene

Thanks for the reply, Greg.

Integrated lead screws for the z-axis?

6. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

There are no couplers. The leadscrews are part of the motor.

7. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Does that include new lead nuts or are the old ones usable ?

8. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

new nuts, they are a direct replacement.

gonzalo likes this.
  9. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

woot! I am ready!
    I will go for direct IDEX though, I find that the worst enemy of dual printing is molten filament oozing all over from the inactive nozzle, and Bowden just adds residual pressure in the system.
    @Greg Holloway: have you tried to park the inactive nozzle directly on a metal plate thus mechanically blocking the nozzle? would that work?
    Thank you.

Ps: I just read the blog about the BB future so... Greg is my BB lifeline! :)

Colin likes this.
  10. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I have a dual nozzle Bowden Ormerod, and I have zero oozing from the inactive hot end. To achieve this I set the inactive hot end to a lower temperature (150C when printing PLA) and I retract 10mm of filament when changing tools. Lower retraction might work, I haven't tried. The reduced standby temperature slows down tool changes because you have to wait for the new nozzle to heat from standby to active temperature, but that's not too bad because there are normally only 2 tool changes per layer, and you can use a more powerful heater to speed things up.

The main issue I find with dual nozzle printing is that if the standby nozzle passes over filament that has only just been laid down, it leaves a mark. Better print cooling might help, but IDEX solves that problem completely.

eca likes this.
  11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I use the oozeless Ram|Purge cycle that we developed a year or so ago. It works flawlessly with the IDEX Bowden and there is no ooze on the prints or from the print heads. The inactive head is parked in the homed position well away from the print when not in use.

The attached .FFF S3D profile is the latest version and I have tweaked it to work very well.

Attached Files:

Miasmictruth and eca like this.
  12. eca

eca Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway the blower fans, if I already have the two from my BB dual 1.0 would I need different ones for this? And the end stops, would we only need one since the original X-carriage already had one? Of course a few spares might be good now, but just wondering how much I need to order to get this up and running...

13. eca

eca Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway Another question. Are the X-carriages just mirrors of each other, or are there slight differences? Just want to know for the Nimble mounting hole placement. Thanks!

14. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The blower fans are the same as the BB Dual. If you have two then you'll need no more. You'll need a single extra endstop.

They look mirrored but are infact slightly different.

eca likes this.
  15. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Greg, I am really appreciating yours and E3Ds' continued dedication. I understand there must be a lot of emotions.

What I'm wondering is how you adjust or configure z-offsets for the two extruders (is it hardware or software based)?

16. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really don't like bowden. I am going to go with the twin direct design.

17. W1EBR.Gene

Why not go with the dual Bowden IDEX base design and the little remotely driven extruders (Zesty Nimble) that can sit on top? (see prior posts)

#77 W1EBR.Gene, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  18. gearmesh

I will go back and look for that as that sounds great.

19. W1EBR.Gene

I can't recommend it because I haven't checked it out enough yet, but it looks promising.

20. gearmesh

It looks like a great idea. Pricey for sure. If I knew it worked well I would be OK with the price. Tempting to get one.