IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Actually doesn't look all that bad in my opinon.

2. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I must have had my pink colored glasses on when first pondering the possibility of the Nimble. I thought our original solution was really nice, but alas it was too easy. Fortunately, there is a good solution to mounting the Nimble (thanks Greg). I just can't wait to actually get it installed and test it out.

3. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

nimble.png

I've been in communication with Lykle Schepers from Zesty who has kindly sent over mounting files etc which has meant a more intergrated design for the Nimbles.

Files are published as a remix on thingiverse | https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2102426

They are entirely untested! Feedback welcome :)

pjr3D, Stian Indal Haugseth and eca like this.
  4. eca

eca Well-Known Member

It will take a little while for them to be tested, they aren't shipping yet.

5. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Where could I mount my BLTOUCH? Is the enough room for it (I know there isn't a mount for it)?

6. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I was thinking of an adapter that fits over or under the hotend cooling fan for the IR Sensor, I just don't know how the BLTOUCH is normally mounted.

7. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

eca likes this.
  8. W1EBR.Gene

The BLTOUCH is larger than the IR sensor, but your remix has me thinking, so thanks! :)

9. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

That is what I need to figure out too, I have all the parts printed and parts are in, but I have been assembling printers for a company I have been working with so no free time to delve into it yet.

10. W1EBR.Gene

Earlier in this thread, Greg said that he had ideas about where to put it.

Greg, where do you think a good place is?

11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I'm not sure tbh. You might be able to fit the IR sensor to the side of the carriages somewhere near where the cables are cable-tied on.

12. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

I considered fitting the IR sensor to the sides but it seemed to me that this could lead to a loss of build volume so I went for fitting underneath the x_carriage_left_he opposite the fan mounts (onshape design linked in my post above). You could also try @Alex9779 approach and clamp the mount in the bearing clamp but that's a bit far from the nozzle for my taste.

For the Bltouch (assuming it could fit under the carriage) you could adapt my fitting by shortening/moving the posts and moving the mounting holes to the top. I sized the holes for an M3 to self tap but you could add nut traps instead. YMMV ...

13. W1EBR.Gene

Greg, why is the right fan mount thinned out at the top compared to the left fan mount. I noticed it because I am having trouble getting a good print of it.

14. Miasmictruth

Good question, I had to reprint that one too

15. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

So it doesn't hit the carriage. The fan has to be orientated the other way around and so the fan shroud is closer to the x-carriage. The alternative was to cut the x-carriage down, but thought that was a bad idea as it would weaken the assembly.

16. Ualdayan

Ualdayan Member

Their website seems to give the impression they are shipping - doesn't mention preorder or anything, do you currently have an order with them that hasn't shipped?

It's a very interesting idea - I know I've seen the remote stepper idea before, but I don't know that any other version is quite so small or quite so lightweight. In theory it should give the benefits of drive drive, while being as easy as the bowden IDEX to put into use (no frame altering required).

17. eca

eca Well-Known Member

They are apparently waiting for the worm gear that is inside the Nimble to be produced. Supposedly, they should be shipping by the end of March. I backed the project when it was on Kickstarter, but not enough people backed it for them to get the funds.
    And when ordered, the money has been withheld by PayPal until they are shipped. The guys at Zesty tech are really nice and were very helpful making an adapter for the BigBox. They worked with our Greg Holloway in making what I think is a great solution to implementing the Nimble on the BigBox.
    And yes I have ordered one already. But feel free to wait and see how well it performs. I hope to have everything ready by the time they are shipped to just install them and do any fine tuning.

18. W1EBR.Gene

Greg, I am trying to make a carriage mod for the BLtouch. What minimum thickness of plastic do you recommend over the top and around the sides of am M3 square but slot?
    Thanks!

19. Miasmictruth

I usualy like a minum of 3 if I can manage it, what software are you using as I want to mount a BLTouch too

20. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

^^^ What he said....