IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg_The_Maker, Jan 31, 2017.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I am just learning Onshape now.

I am thinking of something similar to the design that was mod'ed for the IR sensor, but with 2 short pillars with a M3 square nut slot and inward facing bolt holes. The support pillars would be spaced apart to match the top mounting holes in the BLtouch. The M3 bolt holes would go beyond the bottom of the nut slot slightly so that there is a little room for fine tuning the height adjustment. I am also thinking about whether it makes sense to use the springs supplied with the BLtouch, since you could use them as an extra protective measure to make sure that hitting the bed by mistake doesn't ram the probe to the point where it is damaged.

That's as far as I have gotten at this point.

What are your thoughts?

#121 W1EBR.Gene, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I haven't done a lot of BLTouch research but I feel using Springs will be a bad idea for consistancy.

3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

The idea is that the spring pushes the BLtouch firmly against the head of the bolt (or a washer), so there is a mechanical stop. If the BLtouch is pushed on too hard, the springs compress.

Is that what you are envisioning?

#123 W1EBR.Gene, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. EASI3D

EASI3D Well-Known Member

With regard to the stepper motors, is there a source for motors with connectors rather than soldered wires?

5. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

You will be smashing the printhead into the bed long before you crush the bltouch, there is no need for a spring.

6. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Probably..... But I don't know of one. If you find a source be a good chap and link it here please :)

7. eca

eca Well-Known Member

What S3D settings have been used for this setup? Or could one use customized BCN3D's settings for the IDEX setupon the BigBox?

8. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

There is an FFF file attached to the thread. In fact I shall add it to the first post.....

eca likes this.
  9. zorco

zorco Member

@Greg Holloway My build is now ongoing, motionsystem is tared down everything marked, starting to build the new motionsystem tomorrow, but if youi can, can you please take some photos on each end of X axes so I can se how you have mounted everything? Would help alot =) Great work with the design! soon my BCN3D Sigma will be 2nd ;)

and one more thing, they guide is missing one part that needs to be printed, we need to print 1 new "dual_x_axis_belt_tensioner.stl" so we can tighten the belt on both extruders! =)

#129 zorco, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  10. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Photos as requested....

2017-02-17 08.41.20.jpg 2017-02-17 08.41.20.jpg 2017-02-17 08.41.09.jpg 2017-02-17 08.41.03.jpg 2017-02-17 08.40.56.jpg 2017-02-17 08.40.50.jpg 2017-02-17 08.40.40.jpg

11. eca

eca Well-Known Member

So ist the simultaneous printing with both heads possible? Of course of the same object.

12. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Do you mean printing two copies of the same model at once, or do you mean printing one object using both nozzles to print it at the same time?

Anyway, the answer is yes to both. If you can make it work of course.

13. eca

eca Well-Known Member

The two copies at once thing. The other one blows my mind just thinking about implementing it...But would also be interesting.

14. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

15. eca

eca Well-Known Member

16. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I hope to at least be able to get double printing working. I can really see doing that.

17. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

It probably can't, and I was partly joking when I suggested it. Makes for an interesting idea though!

That is absolutely possible, the firmware already supports it.

18. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

We demonstrated double printing using the Duet last October, see https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/bigbox-dual-x-carriages-direct.2184/page-9#post-23866. If you used the standard tool definitions we provide for the BigBox IDE, you just send T2 to enabled it, or select tool 2 in the web interface.

The main issue is getting the two nozzles at exactly the same height. You can correct for height differences in firmware when doing dual colour prints, but not when doing simultaneous prints. Some sort of nozzle height adjustment on one of the carriages is useful.

eca likes this.
  19. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

So, I've got almost everything and started doing the cabling. I've ordered the 11HS20-0674S steppers, which don't have a contact but loose cables instead. What's the best way to connect these? Should I solder the loose ends with a regular nema cable and strap them in a loop so the joints don't get tugged as much? I also have female and male JST-connectors for steppers, problem is, the male connectors are supposed to be soldered on the back. Is this a good way to do connect the steppers? Can't really find any information from the pictures above.

@Greg Holloway - could you clarify which screws to use for the two cooling fans? On the pictures I see you have them attached with washers, but none of the screws I found was long enough to fasten in the nut and then go all the way out.

20. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

2 x 45mm M3 screws will do it. I only had 50mm so I had to space them out a bit at the back.