IN DEVELOPMENT BigBox Dual X-Carriages (Bowden)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Greg Holloway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway , I ordered some parts for this upgrade with (order #1066696), could you please give me a favor to check it so I will get the correct parts, or if anything I missed.

Thank You...

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Checked, and on it's way to you!

Irawan Tri Kusumo and Pipshag like this.
  3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Hi Greg, do you think a cork or TPU vibration absorption (or heat insulation) pad for the Nema 11 motors would add any value? I ask because I have some cork and TPU I could use :)

4. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Nope.

Well maybe for heat.

5. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

Thanks @Greg Holloway I've got it yesterday... SO FAST!!!! Great service ! Amazing.

IMG_1170.JPG.jpeg

6. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Did anyone else notice stepper whine on the NEMA11 motors when they're turned on? Unsure if that's something I can make something about.

As another note, did anyone else build the IDEX? Interested in what acceleration and speeds you can obtain without loss of quality. Just finished figuring out how to get nice calibration prints with a bowden and XY-acceleration of 2400.

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I have TMC2100 drivers tuned and the whine stopped. We have ordered a few hundred and will be in stock within a few weeks. I will be doing a quick how-to on installing them into a BigBox

mike01hu and zorco like this.
  8. zorco

zorco Member

Perfect, Then I will upgrade and also buy the new Z motors with theintegrated rods!

Perfect with a instructions för the tmc2100 chips!

9. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Hi Greg

Is there any chance you could put a kit of parts for one stop shopping from dual hybrid etc. Worried I'm gonna miss something out.

10. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

There is a list of major components and oddities in the first post of this thread.

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Greg, one challenge with this is that the post has multiple modifications since, which is the challenge on all of these. Like 75 posts later someone notes that the 45mm screw needs to be a 50mm screw or whatever, and you don't have the latest info. Forums are great for discussion, terrible for shopping lists (that's what a well-maintained wiki page is for)

Ephemeris likes this.
  12. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The major components are there. The list is updated as changes are made. I simply do not have time to maintain the wiki for development branches on a project which has ended. I am essentially doing this in my spare time. I have put much information there as is available, I do not have a shopping list other than what is list already.

Updating a printer to a development a machine will inevitably require you to figure things out for yourselves on some occasions. I really do appreciate that everyone is still involved in BigBox as much as I am, but I do have other work to do too.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  13. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken others can make and maintain a wikis too, as a community we should pull together to make wiki's like this. I know Greg is the original author but we can help out :)

Right now I have been trying to do that for the duet upgrade, though I haven't make a wiki anywhere just the thread.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  14. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I am interested also - I can contribute some time. I have also made a couple of simple mods which are available to anyone wanting to use them. I don't have experience putting a wiki together but I am willing to give it a go if someone has a simple example worth imitating.

15. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Man those rods are hardened steel for sure... time to dig for the cutoff saw.

16. Julian64

Julian64 Well-Known Member

Sorry Greg I fundamentally misunderstood who you were in this forum. I thought you were the official face of BB for on-going development. I didn't realise this forum was simply a hobby for you in your spare time.

17. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I am. However BB is not longer officially in development as the project has ended. I am here to support the current owners and any future users who come along.

I am sure you have seen the official blog, but in case you haven't it's here | http://e3d-online.com/Big-Box-Update

eca likes this.
  18. eca

eca Well-Known Member

We are lucky that you are so passionate about seeing this developed further. Also that the BB team did us all the favor and pushed the project through even when the costs went over what they had originally planned due to the high amount of backers.
    Stand up, slow clapp (it is now mandatory to write everything with a double P as per Trump's latest Executive Order)

W1EBR.Gene and mike01hu like this.
  19. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Has anyone built this and have a S3D profile to share for PLA? I can't seem to get good retraction settings, no matter what I do. If you share your profile, please write what firmware you're running (or settings for retraction acceleration, max feedrate etc).

20. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

If I remember right I run 4.5mm retraction at 80m/s.

Pipshag likes this.