COMPLETE BigBox + DuetWifi controller

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by elmoret, Jul 17, 2016.

1. K3LAG

K3LAG Well-Known Member

I've got fat fingers so the 7" was definitely the way to go. I had the smaller one at first but found myself hitting the wrong buttons.

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I think that means Duet3D is out of stock. If you're in a hurry there are other suppliers.

3. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

Same here. Fat fingers on my part. I have the 7" on the way.

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

If you think the 7" is too large for your printer then I suggest the 5" as the BigBox is hardly a small printer. The only difference in functionality is that the 4.3" is limited to 4 axes and 4 tools, whereas the 5" and 7" support 6 axes and 6 tools.

To order the DueX2, look for the DueX5 and then select the DueX2 option.

EDIT: I just checked, looks like out may be out of stock. You can post a message here https://www.duet3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=3 if you want to ask about availability.

#284 dc42, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the 4.3. After touch screen calibration my fat fingers was much less a problem.

But most work is done via the web interface anyway so I do not feel I have a need to upgrade.

Since the 1.18 firmware is released I need to change my scripts entry to match... will do this weekend I hope...

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

My second print on Duet Wifi is the Paneldue 7" top in HTPLA-CF. Started pretty well but 10 hours in I got a skip in Y axis :( What amps do you guys have on Y? I have 1A now.

Attached Files:

7. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Are you using the original Wantai 42BYGHM809? It's rated for 1.7 amps per phase. Mine is currently set to 1.275 amps.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  8. Stian Indal Haugseth

Thanks,
    Yes, probably. It's the original KS 1.0 motor.

9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I have mine set at 600mA, never had any problems. I did try 1000mA once, but it was very noisy.

10. Stian Indal Haugseth

Yes, mine is very noise in rapid movement as well.

For the record I noticed some buffer overflow in the paneldue display. Need to look into some failed GCODE commands. Hopefully this was my mistake or something S3D generated. Will go through the code before upping the amps. Would rather lower the amps :)

11. JvdP

JvdP Well-Known Member

Duet3D has the Panel 7" in stock now, but they still don't have the Duex2 in stock. I suppose most of you guys opted for the Duex2, because you only need 1 additonal stepper (6 in total). What did you pay for the Duex2?

12. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Duex2 is OOS until late May.

13. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I'm a new DuetWifi user...

It turns out that the wiring for the Z Probe is different for the blue pcb production version of the DuetWifi.

So now I can home all three axis.
    But a auto bed leveling does not allow for me to adjust the height like the original RUMBA that was in the BigBox. How do I get that kind of height adjustment for the head over the bed? I had a pretty good reliable routine of using a paper as a thickness guide. A test print did not stick to the bed since the height was maybe .05 (estimated) to high.

The auto bed calibration map looks way off... How do I fix that?

Also, the PanelDue screen does not show "probe" like I'v seen in other photos of the panelDue. It shows PrNNN where NNN is some number.

I found that the Duetwifi Web console is NOT compatible with Internet Explorer.... it would NEVER connect. As soon as I start Chrome, go the Web UI IP address it would connect within about 1 second.

Attached Files:

14. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I've already replied to your similar post on the Duet3D forum, but I'll repeat the answers here for the benefit of other BigBox users:

- To adjust the Z=0 height semi-permanently, adjust the Z probe trigger height, which is the Z parameter in the G31 command in config.g. Caution: if you have a config-override.g file then it probably has a G31 command in it too, which will override the one in config.g (like EEPROM on Rumba).

- To adjust the first layer height while printing, use the baby stepping buttons on the web interface or PanelDue.

- It is documented in the Getting Connected section of the wiki that you should use Chrome or Firefox to access the web interface. IE is hopeless on HTML5 compatibility. Microsoft's Edge browser mostly worked with DWC last time I tried it, but it wasn't completely reliable.

From your height map, it looks like you are using 5 point bed compensation with a bed.g file. You probably want to use mesh bed compensation instead. See https://duet3d.com/wiki/Using_mesh_bed_compensation.

From the colours in your height map, I see that you are using an older version of DuetWebControl. I suggest you upgrade to main firmware version 1.18.1 and DWC 1.15a or the recently-released 1.15b. Also check the firmware version on your PanelDue if you have one, you need 1.16 to get the baby stepping buttons.

The probe display allows for Z probes with analog as well as digital output. For a digital output probe such as the BLTouch, it should be 0 when not triggered and 1000 when triggered. You may see other values briefly when the output is changing.

HTH David

15. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

BigBox owners who have upgraded to the Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet may be interested in these features of the latest beta firmware:

* Bed levelling using multiple Z motors driven independently. Tell the firmware the XY coordinates of your bed leadscrews (using the M671 command in config.g), probe the bed, and the firmware adjusts the leadscrews individually to do a least-squares minimization of the bed probing height errors. No more problems with motors getting out of sync.

* Resume after power fail. Configure this in config.g, then when the power voltage drops it will automatically lift the nozzle and save the print state to SD card. When power is restored, resume printing from where you left off. The Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet hardware includes power monitoring and extra storage capacitors (to keep the microcontroller working for long enough) to support this.

* Control of an electronics cooling fan (optionally with PWM proportional control) based on the CPU temperature and any over-temperature warnings from the TMC2660 drivers.

Enjoy!

16. Chris

Chris Member

Hi

Im Not totally new to installing a Board to a 3D Printer but it is my First change of an existent Board with a new one.

I Received my Duet wifi today and took a Look to Compare the 2 boards physically.

I saw that there are 3 pairs of cables Go into the Power side of the Rumba. MainPower, HB_Power and HB out. As I understand it MainPower is the 12-35 V power supply, HB_Power is an extra supply for the heated bed and HB Out is going to the heated bed.

Now im a Little puzzled how to install this cables as the Duet wifi doesn’t have the HB Power Input. Do I just don’t use it? I read all post in this thread but didn’t see it mentioned. Maybe it’s obvious to everyone else but I don’t want to ruin my new board by installing the power cables wrong.

I hope that you can help me with this. I tried the web interface and the display and really like it.

EDIT: I also took a look at my thermistor cables. I have 2 pt100 amplifier boards installed in my big box so I guess I have 2 pt100 thermistors. Now they are different. One has 2 cables: 1 red 1 black, the other one has 3 cables: 1 white/transparent and 2 red. How do I connect the one with 3 cables to the pt daughterboard?

#296 Chris, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  17. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The Duets have a single power input for the whole board, unlike the Rumba which has two. Just make sure that the cable or cables from the PSU to the Duet can carry the total current. The terminal block is rated at 32A AFAIR so it is more than adequate.

Each of your PT100 sensors will have 2 wires if it is the standard E3D one, which should be connected to the daughter board as described in the duet3d.com wiki. You don't need to use the E3D amplifiers because the daughter boards replace them.

HTH David

#297 dc42, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  18. Chris

Chris Member

Yeah I expected 2 cables for the pt100 but like I said one has 2 and one has 3. I will try to attach the cables like they are connected with the original plug. (I couldn’t find a picture on google to show what I mean, maybe I make one if it doesn’t work).

The big box I have is the original 1.0 from Kickstarter, but with the dual titan 1.1 hybrid upgrade, so I don’t know if it will be sufficient to not connect the heated bed power to the main input of the Duet. I guess I have to disassemble a bit more than expected to take a closer look.

But thank you for the quick reply.

Also what I forgot is that the pt100 daughterboard screw terminals don’t clamp the cable very tight (sorry if bad English). When I tighten it up it just clicks, like The screw/threads don’t get a grip. But I will try it differently first to see if I can figure what I’m doing wrong.

It was just the wrong size of my screwdriver. Looked like it fits but didn’t. Smaller one worked fine.

#298 Chris, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  19. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Well. After regular frustration with Marlin and continued suspicion of the flakiness of the RUMBA, I've decided to hop on the Duet train. Have ordered a Duet Ethernet, PT100 Daughterboard, and Duex2 (possibly for later). Planning to use the web interface via the Fire Tablet that sits permanently next to the machine. Have a sneaking suspicion it won't arrive until Monday, so could well be a job for next weekend rather than this. Gives me some time to print the mount board and read up as much as possible.

Very interesting to read about the multiple Z motor firmware options just added. The Bigbox of course has two Z motors currently wired in together. Even with the Duex2 and an eventual IDEX upgrade, 7 steppers should be enough (X, X2, Y, Z1, Z2, E1, E2). I'll probably need to get used to the basics first though.

I'm really hoping I can still do manual bed levelling with the eyeballs to lower the head to the bed to set each point, and I guess I'm really hoping for baby stepping to get that first layer as perfect as possible (something I'm probably going to wish I'd got a panel for).

20. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Baby stepping with the new Duet-Wifi firmware works like a charm.