COMPLETE BigBox + DuetWifi controller

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by elmoret, Jul 17, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit you'll fall in love again! It's that good.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

What's irritating me most now is that I just realised they shipped from the same postcode as where I live. Had I done a little more research I'd have just gone and picked it up today. Sigh.

3. Spoon Unit

First pile of setup steps complete.

Board delivered (thanks to Duet for getting that out - I really should have picked it up - and thanks to Royal Mail for knowing it would be OK for me if they signed for me and leaving the box in the back porch)
    Board mounted (thanks @Alex9779 for the Duet+DuetX adapter - worked well)
    Cables plugged in (thanks @elmoret, the Duet Wiring Diagram, @R Design for the idea to use header pins for the PT100 connections, and all those who took various photos) - I actually managed to get the whole thing mounted without taking the base off thankfully
    Ethernet connected (why oh why was the default not DHCP - why oh why is the SD card in such an awkward spot - why oh why is the ethernet cable plugged in upside down?)
    Web interface finally activated (well - this wasn't immediate, but ended up realised I'd plugged in the end stops wrong; i'd plugged yellow to yellow and black to black - but actually we don't need 3v for these end stops (curious what sort of end stop would need power)) - damn this is a cool interface
    Config.g set up (thanks @Ephemeris - just needed a little tweaking for my specifics but so far so good)
    Homing macros setup (thanks @Rob Heinzonly) - this foxed me for a short while till I rechecked the wiring diagram and figured that I'd plugged the X end stop into E1 and the Y into the X.
    Homing all sorted and config tweaked appropriately.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread also, I think I've read it a few times now - plenty of clues here.

Next steps are to figure out which heater goes with which hot end and which extruder and to think about printing a basic test item.

4. Spoon Unit

E step calibration done. Hot ends heating.
    Bed calibration done (thanks @Ephemeris - great PDF)
    First print ... the included testprint - scary - felt like it was going to do a Z max end stop so killed that and messed with Simplify)
    First actual print
    2017-08-13 13.46.48.jpg

And this was without even touching babystepping!.
    Now to figure out how to get the print cooling fan to do something.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  5. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

And then to do the @Ephermeris' bed-levelling spectacular with a three digit number of points.

Much better the visit to your postcode when you've been using it for a while.

6. Chris

Chris Member

Hi

i installed the DuetWifi and almost everything works. I looked through this thread and looked at the posted configs and took some things out of them to find the best suited for me (and customized some). The only problem i have is that my X0 Y0 is not the Nozzle of Tool0. X0 Y0 is at the position of the Z-Probe. My Firmware version is 1.19RC6. EDIT: Not only X/Y 0 is off, everything is off by this Value. X/Y100 is also the Z-Probe (just to add that).

When i change the G31 X* to postive or negative 26, like i measured, it doesnt do anything. X/Y0 is still the Z-Probe.

Also when i look through some of the posted config.g files i see no offsets for tool 1 or am i missing something? Just an example from K3LAG:
    Mine is
    I created the config.g (and some other files) through the Reprap-Firmware configurator and i have an additional G10 command to set offsets which is missing in the posted example.

7. Spoon Unit

Just figured out I can plug the original power connector for the Pi into one of the permanently on Fan connections. I think this is because they're delivering PSU power by default, which seems to mirror what the PWR connection was outputting on the RUMBA.

DWC surveillance after entering Pi address for static web cam image:

chrome_2017-08-15_08-35-26.png

And voila, camera restored!

chrome_2017-08-15_08-38-34.png

#307 Spoon Unit, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

@Chris, when you Home X, and you Home Y, what is the position of the nozzle. For me, the nozzle is at -1,0 at this point.

Therefore I define my current axis minima as follows:
    M208 X-1.0 Y0 Z0 S1 ; Set axes minima (mm) - S1 parameter means set minima

After then playing with the controls I figure out how I'm going to define my maxima:
    M208 X335 Y245 Z295 ; Set axes maxima (mm)

I haven't even considered the probe at this point. This should came next (query the form for Duet Mesh Leveling and you'll find Eph's great guide for that part of the setup.

9. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

.. as for the webcam with the Raspberry, did you use Octoprint for that ?

10. Spoon Unit

I don't think Octoprint is directly involved. I suspect all the features for getting the webcam running and to provide a camera image at the given address are part of the OctoPi install. I haven't touched the Pi, so Octoprint is still there; I just needed to find a way to supply it with power.

11. Chris

Chris Member

I`m an Idiot. I might be too dumb for 3D Printing :)

I just testet setting my Axis minima to different Values after reading your post and then i saw my mistake. I had my minima to -45 because i measured it and thought the Z-Offset would be substracted so my nozzle will be at 0,0. I thought the Offset would applied at homing but as it seems it doesn`t.

Now i changed the value to X-20 and everything is homing as it should. Now i have to test the bedlevelling, if that is still working like it should, as i changed so many values to "fix" my issue.

Thank you, now i can focus on getting everything working.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  12. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I have a really "dumb" question. I am wiring up the DuetWifi. I labeled all of the wires as I took them off the Rumba. On the Rumba there are two pairs of power wires that go to Main Power (Main-PWR) and to Hotbed Power (HB-PWR). Their is also Bed Power (HB-Out), but I cannot figure out where these wires go.

I know I am missing something really obvious, but I have looked at all of the pictures and the board diagrams for the Rumba and the Duet and I'm a little stumped.

EDIT: Do I double-up the two main power pairs and then plug the bed into "Heated Bed"? It's hard to tell from the pics if "Power In" on the Duet has 4 wires going into it.

#312 Steven Burns, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I ran a single pair of conductors from the 24V power supply to Vin on the Due WiFi. Then another pair of conductors go from Bed Heat on the Duet WiFi through the Z cable chain to the heated bed.

14. Steven Burns

I am trying not to take the entire top off and so far I have been able to work fine through the fan opening with the LCD removed, just sayin'.

So are you saying to remove the bed power from the PSU and just use the main and then attach the bed power cable from the bed chain to the Heated Bed power on the duet?

Will it hurt if I run both exiting power mains from the PSU to the Power In on the Duet? The instructions do say you can do that, but I also do not want to fry the board (or my house).

15. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I don't think I removed the unused pair,. Instead I just left them connected to the PSU, cut off the exposed conductors, and put some heatshrink on the ends to keep them from getting into trouble. That way if I needed power for something I had the wires still available.

Having two pairs of wire go from the PSU to the Duet should be okay if the connection is solid.

#315 Ephemeris, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Steven Burns likes this.
  16. Steven Burns

I get it!! Just cap them off, shove them to the side and get on with my day.

So simple.

Thank you!!!

Hugofitz likes this.
  17. Spoon Unit

That's exactly what I did. I wanted removing the bottom to be my last resort. If I have to get the base off again, I'm strongly considering moving all the electronics into an external box. Or maybe just lengthen some of the wiring.

Yeh, I also just put the spares into a connector block and pushed them out of the way. I probably should wrap them in tape, but these are big connector blocks and there's close to no chance of any connections being made. I know I'm going to want to connect them to the Duex2 though when I get round to the IDEX upgrade.

Steven Burns likes this.
  18. Steven Burns

Could someone please share their homex, homey, homez and homeall .g files for a Titan Pro (Single Extruder)?

The reason I am asking is that all of the homing seems to be off. When I home y the sensor is not over the bed and when I home Z it acts very odd. The bed will move down slightly, then the head will slowly move back and to the right. It then starts to move to the left while lowering the bed an outrageous amount. Then it moves to y-stop, bangs a bit and then moves x to the front. The bed then starts to raise up, but as the sensor is not over the bed at this point I have to stop the homing or it will crash into the bed.

I can see the end stops trigger if I manually trigger them so am good there and I did test the z-probe (on head) and it triggers correctly. I have just not dialed it in until I can get the homing figured out.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

19. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Your Z homing issue sounds like you recently upgraded to 1.19 firmware but you did not delete some unused deployprobe.g and retractprobe.g files that were in the /sys folder of the SD card.

20. Steven Burns

Well sh$t......

Guess I should do that then... lol

Yes, I did just upgrade to 1.19.

Thank you!!