COMPLETE BigBox + DuetWifi controller

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by elmoret, Jul 17, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

@moshen ...with the duet wifi, would you even need the LCD? I can see when you are at the printer and maybe don't have a portable smart device or PC on hand, but with the wifi and web interface, couldn't you do those controls that way? I'm wondering if my Samsung S3 (no longer with cell service) would make for a good LCD alternative and mount it on my printer.

2. danzca6

Hey...after Brexit...this thing got a bit cheaper for the US since I first looked at it.

3. danzca6

Looking at the DuetWifi site I guess they answered the LCD question. Looks like mounting an old smartphone will work just fine.

4. danzca6

@elmoret , do you have any screenshots of the web interface that you can share? I am curious on how robust it is compared to the LCD screen.

5. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

I have OctoPrint on the BB which I can control on the phone or computer, but having a LCD on the printer is still very convenient - it's generally quicker for certain tasks. I don't need the PanelDue color touch screen but just the same basic support the current BB LCD provides..

6. danzca6

yeah good point. you would suffer a bit from the lag of the wifi connection over a hard wired controller

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yes, just a matter of tying up a phone/tablet or spending $80-100 on a 7" screen+Paneldue. Though the web interface might be a bit tougher to read on a ~4" screen - the Paneldue packs less on the screen in favor of readability and larger font sizes.

I can do you one better, here's a simulator:

https://www.duet3d.com/DuetWebControlSim/

I think that DWC can do just about everything Octoprint can, including a camera (though it has to be an IP camera, it doesn't connect to the Duet directly).

If such a lag exists, I can't tell. It would have to be under a half second or so.

8. danzca6

That is great!!! Thank you. Not too bad. I have a lot of unused tablets and smartphones that need something to do. The LCD is very tempting and I have been going back and forth. The 7" looks like a good option over the 4.3"...because size matters ;) Looks like you will have those in stock about the time the Duet batch 4 is shipped. Thanks for all the help on this. This will be a big jump from the RAMPS setup I have now.

9. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

How is it with the adapter insert for the due wifi? I am growing tired of this rumba and how fast it kills motor drivers and itself. Is I ordered a second one and plan a swap.

10. danzca6

Which adapter insert are you referring to? I get my duet wifi this Saturday. Looking forward to the upgrade.

11. Irawan Tri Kusumo

Irawan Tri Kusumo Well-Known Member

I wish there is a more detail step by step with pictures guide how to Install this board on BB.

12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Somebody ont he forum designed an adapted a the footprint of the two boards are different. Of course the screen will also be different

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya and so far I am think about how to cool it because they tell you have to cool from the bottom if you mount it horizontal...
    Also a place for the PT100 board is needed... We'll see, time to design some adapters when it is here, maybe a new cover for the display. I don't wanna "carve" my case or drill holes...
    The lack of accessible laser cutters in my region is annoying... I only found one option so far, commercial but cheap IMHO who tells that one plate of 900x600mm is about 90€ no matter how many cuts... That sounds ok but he has not many materials to choose from...

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to Duet, but a 3D printable adapter plate could be cool (unlike the laser cut one in the original post)

15. danzca6

Just a note to those still interested in a Duet Wifi. They still have units available from batch 5. They are starting to ship that batch today and the pre order discount on the DW and the accessories are going to be over the 20th of this month I believe. So still time to get a great deal. Mounts and brackets are all part of the fun of owning a 3d printer and designing your own. This should be way better than my RAMPS board...I feel like I am in the dark ages. :)

16. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that we can use the e3c PT100 boards (I took one of their anyhow), meaning we only need an adapted fo the board.
    I would not worry about cooling, especially because I already use a monster 80cm ventilator not he cover and that is probably enough. I do not expect it to be warmer that the duet 0.8.1 that I am also cooling from the top.

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is still a second fan for always on available on the Duet so a second fan inside at the front blowing backwards should be possible...
    For me it is just an option, not a must, I wanna experiment, maybe I just connect it temporarily to test it out and then decide to build another "Box" with it...
    Had a look at the laser cutter I mentioned earlier, it is what I said, poplar plywood cutting 900x600 is 128€ no matter how many cuts, though no engraving possible...

18. danzca6

with their adapter you don't need the amplifier. Just the sensor and their board. At least that is what I understand and hope since that is what I ordered.

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am convinced that it is this way. Makes no sense to use their board and then the amps too... Also they sell the Duet + the PT100 adapter and the PT100s too so...

20. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Works fine, about 200 prints now with nary a problem.

There's a guide in the first post of this thread? I discussed every connection and provided a sample config.g file, what more information are you looking for? I thought the post was too long as-is!

Yes, that was me. Adapter is linked in the first post.

It is a DXF, you can turn it into an STL with the extrude function on CAD software.

You cannot use the E3D PT100 boards, as they have an analog output. You must use the Duet Wifi PT100 boards.

No additional cooling is needed, I'm not even using a fan and the board has not exceeded 45C. Well within then operating limits of the drivers and MCU. No heatsinks either.