COMPLETE BigBox + DuetWifi controller

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by elmoret, Jul 17, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Hah! Who knows!?

First thing I've ever modelled so it could turn out like a turd. I'm printing the last parts now and will then see if I think the fit is suitable enough to swap it out with the dual Titan setup.

I need to work out cooling fans. I'm ignoring the dump/wipe aspect at the moment.

Anyway, when I've progressed it a bit more, if it may work, I'll start a new thread rather than clogging this.

Miasmictruth and Alex9779 like this.
  2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Does the Duet have a documented API for remote control and status updates etc like Octoprint ? It's not clear from the docs

3. jdix

jdix Member

Hi All
    I received a DuetWifi about a week ago and have just got round to replacing the Rumba board in the BigBox.

Some things to note if you are planning on installing the production version of the DuetWifi, and are thinking of following the photos and steps @elmoret posted for the prototype:
    1. In the photos @elmoret posted the X Axis motor lead is the other way around compared to the others. If you use @elmoret's config.g file, but keep all leads the same way round you will need to update the config.g file and reverse the X motor, just look for the following in the config.g file:
      Code:
      M569 P0 S1
      and replace with:
      Code:
      M569 P0 S0
    2. I had a couple of hours scratching my head trying to figure out why the Z probe was not working. In the end it turned out that between the prototype DuetWifi, and the production version, the Z probe contacts have been reversed. I guess it pays to rtfm, and look at the wiring diagram! :)
    Other than that I have to say so far I am amazed how much quieter and smoother the motors seem to be, and how much cooler it is compared to the Rumba board.
    The web interface to me does also seem to be a lot more intuative compared to the dial/lcd interface too, although as previously noted you do seem to get logged out quite often, although this does seem to be fairly random, so could be down to the strength of the Duets' wifi connecting to my router.

The only thing I now have to wait for is a PT100 daughterboard, which I neglected to to include when initially ordering the DuetWifi...

I'll let you know if I find anything else when I've got everything up and running once again.

Cheers for the original post @elmoret it was very useful!

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Nice tips, I'll add them to the OP.

5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Thanks ! I have just finished my Dual Direct Titan setup, and have the DuetWifi and 7" screen lying on my desk. As soon as my PanelDue board arrives I will start the new project :)

6. K3LAG

K3LAG Well-Known Member

I've got mine installed as well. I'm using the 4.3" display. I have a dual so I had to make quite few changes to file elmoret originally provided. I used all three PWM fan outputs. One for the main cooling fan and one for each hot end fan. I also reduced the current on the extruder motors since I have the small pancake motors on my dual hybrid.

I love how quiet the printer is now. I also find that the bed leveling works very well with the full implementation the IR Probe.

I still need to modify alex's S3D scripts to work with the new configuration. Here's my config file:

Larry

eca, wahatever and PsyVision like this.
  7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Very nice, linking to this post in the OP.

8. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The Duet WiFi talks gcode just like all other electronics, so it will work with Octoprint. However, you don't need to use Octoprint, because the Duet WiFi already provides a web interface, which you can access remotely if you want.

9. Dr Jeep

No sorry I wasn't 100% clear what I mean is that Octoprint provides a REST api I use to drive my printer from other automation and for my UPS to cleanly abort prints if the power goes out. Does DuetWiFi have something similar to expose an API over the network.

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Can you imagine a printer with 7 extruders or 4 extruders with 4 separate x carriages? The Duex5 prototyping is coming and includes...
    • 5 more TMC2660s
    • 5 more heater channels (that can be re-purposed for servos)
    • 5 more thermistor channels
    • 5 more endstops (think filament out sensors etc)
    • support for 2 more PT100/TC daughter boards , so 4 more PT100/TCs
    • same form factor as the DuetWifi, designed to be mounted back-back with spacers for efficient use of space and cooling.
    With the DuetWifi and the Duex5 you could build a 7 extruder printer, or 4 extruder printer with 4 independent X axis carriages (not yet supported in firmware!),

eca likes this.
  11. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Not enough for dual kraken !

12. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

You could use the http API that DuetWebControl uses. There is a summary of the commands at the start of https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/blob/dev/src/Duet/Webserver.cpp.

13. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Oh dear, back to the drawing board...

14. Patrick Notton

Yeah, maybe a Duex50 might be more appropriate...

[​IMG]

15. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Great effort. I had wondered if this was an opportunity to raise the rod diameter of the Y axis but there is the extra cost issue of rods and bushes. Good luck with what you are doing, I look forward to the results.

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm holding off on this at the moment as I'm printing some parts for someone else. I want to see the official dual carriage announcement too before I swap anything. To be honest, there is the ability to swap out any of the rods for larger ones. It's easy enough to change in 123d and I think there's scope for it in both the current design and the new dual carriage if you so wished.

mike01hu likes this.
  17. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

@dc42, seeing you mentioned dual X support in the future. Does it support dual Z drivers with dual Z endstops in addition to z probe today?

On dual X carriage the dual Z bed could be leveled by the dual Z probes.

Whew! That's a lot of dual :)

18. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

It supports multiple Z drivers but not yet multiple Z endstops. One of the planned features is to use triple independent Z motors to do bed levelling.

19. Dr Jeep

Thanks, that could work out ok actually. I'll have to shove a https proxy in front of it as I have done with Octoprint but other than that this looks good.

20. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

This weekend I finished my DuetWifi setup. Installation was really easy. The only problem I encountered was with my 7inch touch screen; directly after startup it needed a reset from the PanelDue board, because the touch screen was none responsive. After I upgraded the firmware to the 1.15beta3 version the problems were solved. Some highlights:

I have connected the two Pt100 sensor to the DuetWifi daughterboard. Just solder the paths like described in the manual, and you are ready:

[​IMG]

I designed my own screen case (of course available at Thingiverse) to house a 7inch screen, instead of mounting the PanelDue board directly at the back of the screen, connected the two with a 40pin (IDE) cable. The PanelDue board is now mounted completely at the back of the 7inch screen. By doing this I could go for a symmetric setup, which looks nicer (I think) on the BigBox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furthermore I redesigned the cabling during the mount of the DuetWifi. Since the board comes with a nice amount of good connectors, I thought it would be a good idea to use them and clean up the cable mess of the Rumba board.

[​IMG]

IR bed leveling is really easy to setup; just follow the instructions from DC42 (chapter Testing and Commissioning the board). Setup your own bed.g macro and let the board do the leveling.

mhe, AndyVirus, danzca6 and 2 others like this.