BigBox Filament Type

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven Burns, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

@Josh @Greg Holloway

A lot of talk has been going on recently and I am hoping you can clear this up for myself and the group.

Are ALL of the BigBox printed parts done in Edge or are some parts done in Edge and others in a different type/brand of filament?

If another type of filament is used for the High Temp parts, what is it and where can we obtain it? If not available, what is the best choice for these high temp parts.

As Edge is not yet available, what would be a good type or brand of filament to use in its stead? Standard PLA or something else.

I want to print the new carriage for the hybrid and potentially for the Titan and want to have everything on hand at the same time.

Thank you!!

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Everything is in edge. Colour fab xt is a high temp option for replacements and looks identical.

But none of the printed parts should be subjected to high temperatures really

3. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

I dont think that's correct. As I recall the parts close to the hotend is "Material X", not Edge, which has even better temp resistence.

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

All parts are done in edge, except for the few labelled as Hi Temp. They are done in "Material X", a good alternative would be something like PC-ABS. Although to be fair anything with a Tg around 100 will probably do.

5. Steven Burns

Thank you!

6. Steven Burns

PC ABS seems a bit expensive and hard to find. Does anyone know a good place to get it in the US or a US source for Colorfabb HT?

7. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway I was thinking in printing them in Taulman3D's Blueprint. Seems specifically designed for such an application. Any thoughts?

8. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I've not used it before, but give it a go. It looks like it should be up to the job!