BigBox Firmware - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jasons_BigBox, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Hello all, been a while!

This is hopefully read by @Alex9779 and/or @Greg Holloway.

I've had many a happy time printing with my BigBox Pro Hybrid (I think) and have recently upgraded to use a volcano head and to be 'easily' interchangeable with a V6 if needed. It's all been working pretty well, I've changed slicer to PrusaSlicer with no real issues. My only issue really is that the nozzle doesn't quite drop into the purge bucket. It just sits on the lip of the silicone strip. It wasn't a big issue with a V6 as the charge/purge was quite small but on a Volcano it's a big lump and is causing problems.
    I thought it would be a case of altering my start end end routines to increase the Y position but it doesn't work. Even manually moving via 'MOVE AXIS' the toolhead stops at Y=225mm.

I found the latest firmware linked from the wiki which I think is RC6 but have had the same problem, plus a few others! IN the RC6 files I have found a line:

#define Y_MAX_POS 235

But it still stops at 225? The other odd issue is that when I use 'MOVE AXIS' it moves 4x what I expect. 10mm moves 40mm, 1mm moves 4mm etc. The distance moved is as displayed and I think the steps per mm are correct, it just moves too far.....

With a few other things, I think I had a different firmware originally. I think I had Alex's setup with Mesh Bed Levelling and the auto home set to the bottom left. I have a .hex that seems to restore it like it was but I can't see a way to override the max y position without the source code.

So, does anyone know a way to change the max y position?

Does anyone have access to the code for Alex's setup that I can change it myself?

Failing that, does anyone know the basic changes needed to the RC6 setup I need to make to get it to work?

I realise we're a long way down the road now but this is getting a pain!

Many thanks all!

Jason

2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

You're best off downloading the latest firmware and starting from scratch | https://marlinfw.org/

The original BigBox firmware is still available here | https://github.com/BigBox3D

It has been 4+ years since I have done anything to the BigBox or even looked at the firmware.

3. Jasons_BigBox

I would if I knew what I was doing!

I’ve managed to find some of it like the mesh bed levelling.

I still can’t explain why the move axis thing doesn’t move correctly.

I might have a go at starting from scratch. The problem is that I don’t really know what Alex changed to get to where it was.

Cheers Greg

Jason

4. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

It could be something to do with tool offsets. You can search with CTRL-F and see if there is any listed as 225 and see if it can be adjusted.

5. Jasons_BigBox

I found a forum post somewhere that mentioned there’s an override in a different file. I’ll look at that.

The puzzling thing is that the move commands all move 4x what they should. 1mm moves 4mm, 10mm goes 40mm. It does really move 40mm and the display shows 40mm too so I don’t suspect steps per mm.

I might have to start from scratch. I am tempted to just spoof it by putting a longer bolt on the y end stop in the meantime.

6. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Edit a new config file from the latest Marlin. You'll learn a huge amount about how everything works. It's how I started, there was a time when I didn't know anything.

7. Jasons_BigBox

I’ll have a go, cheers Greg.

Greg_The_Maker likes this.
  8. Jasons_BigBox

Well, I'm about three days in and none the wiser. I can get a compiled sketch out of the Marlin 2.0 setup, modified as best as I can see to suit the Big Box but not a lot else. If I upload it to the machine it just screams at me until I turn it off. No splash screen. no menus, just the buzzer/beeper/speaker going nuts.

One thing I have noticed is that in the Big box firmware Marlin directory, there are 170+ files of .cpp and .h types. In the Marlin 2 version I've made there are only Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h, Makefile, Marlin.ino and Version.h

Have I missed something big where I need to copy all those sub-files across? Do they need to be referenced to the libraries or something?

The other thing I can't find at all is the BigBox splash screen. I can enable a custom screen but I can't see any reference to it in the firmware files for the big box. Any clues?

9. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

10. Jasons_BigBox

Yes, I just tried again and the Marlin folder contents are:
    upload_2021-7-26_17-19-55.png
    I suspect there's been a change in the way that everything's put together. Unfortunately it also may mean I can't use the Big Box version as a reference.

I did manage to get a Marlin boot screen to appear without all the beeping later in the day yesterday but it fell over after that (Extruder temperature). I suspect my temperature sensor numbering is off somewhere. I've only got one extruder so I should be able to debug that at some point.

11. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

You have done all the usual settings and config stuff for a RUMBA?

12. Jasons_BigBox

Sorry, work stopped play ;o)

I'll have to come back to it in the coming weeks. I obviously need to learn a lot!

Greg_The_Maker likes this.