COMPLETE BigBox Firmware Plugin

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by tohara, Aug 5, 2016.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex. When I have a gap in my activity I will give this a shot.

2. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Actually you can. When I switched to using configurable github repo I kept the makefile and arduino lib files in the plugin. The default profiles are acually based on using the RC branch from original marlin repo. Unfortunately it will currently only work for RC7 based repos.

I am working on a solution to be able to use the same version of the plugin for both RC6 and RC7, it should be ready soon.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh ok didn't realise that... So I can remove the Arduino files and the edit of the Makefile again?

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is not "mine" :D

Sorry to say but this is pointless... Unless you just wanna compile and have no settings in your profile because those branches are fully configured...

What I wanna achieve is to have a "generic" branch. The base of this is the original Marlin repo... I already made my Geek branch and my Alex9779 branch which change the Malin_main.cpp or the ultralcd.cpp and add new features but everything else is not changed. And it works, I make all the setting in the profile...
    Actually the printer is printing at the moment with a firmware made this way...

6. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

My point was that any existing Marlin repository can be used. So if you do not want to set up everything in the profile you have the options to select one of "your" stock branches (It has your name all over it;)!).

And ehhmm, just for info, the included default profiles does not work. Not sure where I messed up, but I only get ERR: MAXTEMP if I try to flash one of them.

#26 tohara, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  7. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

There are some custom pins for the PT100 in pins_RUMBA. Maybe you missed those?

Really love the work and that I might use in on my own report as I got some customisations :)

tohara likes this.
  8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya that is what I mentioned too :D but in the future this would not be needed anymore... Though we cannot use the stock Marlin repo because we have to change the PINs assignment for the temp sensors...

That could be because of what I wrote above... the pin_rumba uses the thermistor PIN 13 and 14 I think but for the PT100 amps we use 10 and 9...

tohara likes this.
  9. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Yes, I missed that, thanks.

10. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

I have now finally gotten to the point where I think I have a stable version.

A quick explanation on how to use it and what it does:

The plugin can be installed using this link:
    https://github.com/tohara/OctoPrint-BigBoxFirmware/archive/master.zip

After installation and a restart of OctoPrint, navigate to the new BigBoxFirmware entry in the settings menu.
    You will most likely see this message that dependency software need to be installed the first time.
    Click OK to install avrdude, make and avr-libc.
    MissingDep.png

A github repository with the firmware source you want to use then have to be downloaded.
    Click the "Manage Repo's" button to open this menu:
    repo.png

Then click the "+" button and add the github URL for the wanted source firmware.

The provided default profiles are based on https://github.com/tohara/Marlin.git , branch BB_RC6_BASE and BB_RC7_BASE.

The stock firmware from https://github.com/BigBox3D/Marlin.git can also be used.

Adding a new profile:

addProfile.png

Give the new profile a unique name, the id will be generated based on the name.
    Select the repository and branch you want the new profile to be based on.

Then any define identifier from Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h can be added to the profile by clicking the "+" button. If you are using one of the branches from https://github.com/BigBox3D/Marlin.git only the define variables you want to change need to added. If you are using https://github.com/tohara/Marlin.git as source this is a generic Marlin RC source only containing the changes needed for the PT100 amp input on BB, all define variables specific to BigBox need to be added. Some predefined default profiles have been added to the plugin for this.

profile.png

Note that the default profiles will only be installed the first time the plugin is installed on an OctoPi. If you need to restore the default profiles they can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/tohara/OctoPrint...ter/octoprint_bigboxfirmware/default_profiles , and the imported by using the Import function in the add profile menu.

When a profile is set up you can click the flash.png button beside the firmware profile you want, and it will be compiled and flashed to the Rumba.

main.png

Bluemalu, JohnEsc, moshen and 8 others like this.
  11. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Looks very impressive. Will be trying it for sure.

12. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Will definitely get this up and running properly when back from my holiday!

Is there a method to export profiles? Might be useful for sharing them.

13. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Yes, the newest version have the option to export and import profile setups.

Alex9779 likes this.
  14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I saw that, thanks again for the great work! Though all my wishes would take longer but you did all I asked for!
    I think this is my new way to flash and experiment with the firmware.
    And I am planning to get rid of all my geek branches and just provide profile for you addin... That is so cool... I wish I could program Python and JS and understand web dev...

15. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

New functionality added for easier profile setup. A dialog with all available defines for selected repo/branch will now appear when adding a new define in the profile editor.

NewDefineDialog.png

Alex9779 and Björn like this.
  16. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Alex, do you have a link to your dual direct github repository?

cheers

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

19. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

Was thinking about this, and I don't see any problem with adding pins_RUMBA.h to the files that will be reconfigured with the plugin, I have added this to the latest version, and now I can use the stock Marlin repo if I want to ;)

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice, so for an unchanged Marlin experience this will work.
    For my enhanced versions with additional menu entries or the LED stuff for my machine I still need a separate branch...