COMPLETE BigBox Firmware Plugin

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by tohara, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Mark Curry

Mark Curry Well-Known Member

That will save a lot of time Tohara, thanks!

2. Mark Curry

Does anyone kno if there is a RC 7 Hybrid MBL mirror in Alex git? Can seem to find one ad keen to try Lin_Advance....

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope there isn't. All RC7 stuff I did with the firmware plugin and profiles...
    If I have a moment I will post my two profiles this evening...

4. Mark Curry

Thanks Alex, was wondering if I can use my existing profile and point to Geek BBFF.. then just add the LIN_ADVANCE define, but dont know if it will be picked up...?

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

It should be. I'm on BBFF/RC7 using LIN_ADVANCE of 50.

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Can someone explain in plain English the most obvious difference between using LIN_ADVANCE and not using it please?

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That algorithm calculates the pressure in the nozzle based on a correction factor called K you can set.
    It tries to keep the pressure so higher that the current move will print fine but also combined with look ahead so if a corner comes near less filament is extruded to reduce the pressure in the nozzle. That way when the head arrives at the corner and suddenly changes the direction the pressure is lower so the filament does not flow so much and the corner is sharper.
    That's basically what is does. It also has an influence on retractions I think building up the pressure after a retraction faster.
    The guide for it tell you should not use things like wipe or coast which try to do the same but the firmware can do better because it knows what's coming next...

Hope this helps...

Spoon Unit and mike01hu like this.
  8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BBFF is actually bare Marlin with just some things in the code the profiles cannot.
    Also my branches include the changes if the PINs for the temp sensors which is no longer needed...
    I added the additional menus for Z and my alex9779 branch included one additional things like LED toggle menu and on the fly T1 offset changing...
    You have to set all the setting needed for the BB if you use those branches...

Mark Curry likes this.
  9. Mark Curry

Thanks Alex so I could use your branch (alex9779) and just ignore LED switch etc... so basically its MBL Mirror with some stuff I can ignore..?

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately both profiles are for Dual Titan setup...

Attached Files:

Mark Curry likes this.
  11. Mark Curry

Thanks gonna compare to mine and just change tool position

12. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Presumably this would therefore also impact ghosting.

13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually yes but we are getting off-topic here...
    One last thing: I think it is good and you can't do anything really wrong with it as long as you set your initial firmware stored K factor not too high... Increasing the K value will increase the quality until a certain point where it drops again and that point is material dependant also speed and layer height dependant.
    So you can do really wrong with a value of 25 or maybe 50, all prints will look better more or less. There still maybe space for improvement on certain filaments or other settings of the print but you have to test that out for every constellation and that's a lot of work...
    I must admit I tried it but at the moment I am using a firmware without it...

14. CHP

CHP Active Member

Somehow the RC7 doesn't work for me. Every couple of layers the printhead moves to the back of the printer. If it gets lucky and doesn't crash in the back it will move back to the correct position otherwise it will continue at the wrong position.

If I lower my K to 0 with "M905 K0" the problem doesn't disappear but appears very rarely.
    I'm using the default_hybrid-pro_rc7 from tohara.

15. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

@CHP
    Have you lowered the baudrate to 115200?

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine did that twice, seems OK now, I've lowered baud too (after it did it)

17. CHP

CHP Active Member

It's still at 230400. I'll try it, thanks.

18. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

If you are using LIN_ADVANCE the Rumba is not able to keep up with baudrate at 230400. If you look at the terminal window in octoprint you will probably see a lot of errors.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/4087

#98 tohara, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  19. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

When I used this the first time (using RC6), I got a blank display. I was thinking it may be the contrast so I disassembled the face plate of the display and the contrast adjustment didn't solve the issue.
    I then went back and applied the firmware again this time I chose RC7. It came back! All is well.

Not sure what went wrong and I am not suggesting there are any issues with RC6... My only suggestion is if you fail at first, try try again ;)

This is a great piece of work. Hats off to all who all who helped make it possible!

20. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Do these files contain every thing that needs to change to make the vanilla RC7 ready for Titan dual? I don't care to mess with the raspberry pi right now I would like to make a version I can build and download to the pi through the traditional means.

So I was thinking about writing a macro to pull the data out of your text file, then use that to rewrite the necessary files before comping it with the arduino compiler. Or is that just a stupid notion?