COMPLETE BigBox Firmware Plugin

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by tohara, Aug 5, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes they do contain the values for the #defines to get RC7 working. It would be stupid writing a macro to do it though, just open it in notepad and copy and paste, you'll have it done in minutes.

Pipshag likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Fair enough, was mostly thinking to right the macro for future revisions too but your probably right.

3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

This is Alex's duel firmware settings, I just formatted it to make it easier to read in case anyone has a similar notion as me, will try to compile this this weekend.

Attached Files:

4. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

I am using firmware from the branch RC7_Alex9779 via this plugin. All has been working well for me. Thanks! I no want to enable Babystepping on the Z axis so i can get my first layers perfect. How would i go about doing this? Would I select "BABYSTEPPING" with a value of "1". If this is correct is that value 1mm or 1 stepper step? If so how would i make each turn of the knob on the lcd 0.1mm? What should the value be? babystep.jpg

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

select babystepping, leave the value field empty and check the checkbox. babystepping works in terms of steps on the motor I think (or something), it doesnt work in units of distance.

AndyVirus likes this.
  6. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Thankyou!

Finally then (for now of course :) ), LIN_ADVANCE... do i give the K value in value (i have used 50 for now) or do i leave that too, then define the K value later?

Edit: Never mind, found the define LIN_ADVANCE_K so set that to 50 to start and left LIN_ADVANCE blank... Think I'm getting the hang of this now

#106 AndyVirus, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. iniazi

iniazi Member

Update: My preliminary finding seems like the IR is not 'pinging' on a clean glass surface. The other points have PVA juice on them, but just at that point, there is a clean area (its on the edge of the grid). Anyway, I just got my UHU stick's delivered last week, so I'm going to acetone the glass and use a UHU stick to coat, and retry. I'm pretty confident thats the issue (since it probed 2 or 3 other points fine)

I flashed RC7 BF from tohara's repo, on a BigBox Pro (Single extruder etc.). I added LIN_ADVANCE and lowered the baudrate to 115200. Flashed it. Auto home works fine, it raises the bed until it gets to the right setting etc. I had repeated the commissioning also, btw. But Auto bed leveling doesn't work. I think it does a point or two fine, but then it goes near the middle of the bed, and starts to push the bed level up, and keeps going up. I see -10 on the Z, before it can't push the bed up any further and steppers still trying to push up, until I power off the machine.

It seems to use the IR in one or two points, during auto leveling, but I may be wrong. It starts in the middle of bed after auto home, and then goes to 0,0 and does a measurement, I believe, and maybe another one on x axis and then goes into y axis before going crazy.

I'm at work right now, but I can put a video up later on tonight, if that helps. Hoping there is a step I forgot or something obvious. I'll see if I can try manual bed leveling, if the option is there.

#107 iniazi, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  8. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Is RC8 getting Auto Mesh Bed Leveling or am I misinterpreting it? It looks like it on pull #4899:

See the RC8 notes, estimated to be released within a few days.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/5077

9. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

are RC7 or RC8 build ready for BigBox duals?
    If so where to download?

10. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

RC8 is not out yet, RCBugfix hasn't been considered stable enough yet for another release candidate.

11. Pipshag

Pipshag Active Member

Just as a public service announcement, got a RCBugFix branch based on 8bf07684 up, for both the (Dual Hybrid v1.1 converted to) Dual Direct as well as Dual Hybrid v1.1. Not sure if the Dual Hybrid v1.1 is working correctly, haven't gotten any feedback on it. Read the docs and be careful. Don't use the RCBugFix-branch - it's not configured at all.

https://github.com/Pipshag/Marlin/

(Still manual) Mesh Bed Leveling 3x3 (4x4 on DualDirect),
    Contains LIN_ADVANCE with probably correct K-factor,
    PID AutoTune + support for PID settings for each tool,
    PID-scaling,
    Smooth slowdowns, new way of handling print quality on many small moves,
    Park mode (G27),
    Wipe nozzle (G12 P1 T1),
    Individual Axis homing

Use M905 K0 to disable LIN_ADVANCE. Read through Marlin docs for correct way to determine this value.

It's possible to set it up for Bilinear ABL as well (ABL applied as a mesh) using a custom profile in this great profile. Read Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h for the correct options.

12. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Cool! Which Marlin option is this?

13. moshen

moshen Well-Known Member

Nevermind, found it. ENSURE_SMOOTH_MOVES - that's pretty much necessary if LIN_ADVANCE is used as it disables the LCD menu when the planner is overloaded (lots of moves with LIN_ADVANCE takes too much CPU).

14. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

gearmesh likes this.
  15. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Yahoo RC8 !

16. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

I saw this in my update log
    Successfully installed OctoPrint-BigBoxFirmware-0.2.3
    You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 9.0.1 is available.
    You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

What does "You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command." mean?
    Should I care?

17. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

This is just python-pip telling you that there is a new version available. There is no need to upgrade pip.

18. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Was happy with RC6 till I downloaded your software @tohara and saw a whole new calibration session, also, RC8 to play with.

Software install went well, RC6 works fine, I'm just trying to understand how to install / import the RC8 firmware into the plugin.

Do I go through "manage repo's" or "add profiles"? Any pointers greatly appreciated as I'm not exactly sure which way to go.

19. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

For RC8 you will need the official Marlin repo.

Easiest way to do this is to select Add Profile, then import one of the RC8 profiles linked above in this thread. If you have not already installed the official marlin repo you will be asked to do so. Select Yes on the popup and when download is done, repeat the Add Profile part again.

20. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Many thanks, the mistake I made was not saving the RC8 profiles as text files (when I chose save as they were saved as .html - chose the raw format, copied into NotePad++ and saved as .txt), imported perfectly. Time to go through my Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h to confirm the differences as I'm using @Alex9779 BigBox Dual RC6 with Mesh Bed Leveling.

Last stupid question - well till my next one.

In my Configuration_adv.h I have redefined #define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN 8 to #define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN 6. Can I add the EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN as a custom define and then set it to 6?

#120 Bluemalu, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017