IDEAS Bigbox Heated Build Chamber

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Rajasundar, May 23, 2016.

1. Rajasundar

Rajasundar Member

I would like to heat my build chamber upto 70°C. I am bit concerned about warping of the printed parts like the carriage holders, extruder mounts of the Bigbox. It seems like they are printed from edge material (PET G) ? The Tg of PET G is around 80°C. Any advice please ?

My Bigbox is a plywood frame and I have enclosed my Bigbox with plexiglass and insulation foam. I plan to water cool the steppers and hot end.

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're serious!

So,

a) the only way to know is to do a test: take something in edge (a clip from the electronics cover?) load it with an appropriate amount of stress and leave it in the oven overnight...

b) Tg is not a black and white indication of when polymers start to creep, especially under load. Even without testing there's a strong case for reprinting all the critical parts in something more high temperature.

3. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

ABS Tg starts at 100C but has a wide range.

4. Rajasundar

Rajasundar Member

OK thank you. I have put a sample of edge print for testing and lets see how it fairs tomorrow.

5. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

ABS in general is a different story to most polymers we use for FDM, because it's amorphous.

@OP - i've used PET (T-Glase mostly) parts in places near the hotends to no ill effects (no noticeable creep). Until you exceed the Tg you won't see any softening. Once it exceeds it, it starts going soft fairly slowly. I'd say you're pretty safe until about 90, but YMMV, depending on the particular mix Edge is. R-design is right, testing is the only way to be 100% sure.

6. Rajasundar

Rajasundar Member

Seems to creep quite a bit at 70°C under a load of 2.5 kg... I think it wouldn't be this bad for an actual loading case considering weight of a hybrid titan dual...i hope

upload_2016-5-25_17-45-8.png

Attached Files:

7. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

It will also help when you have the bearings in and clamped together.

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Good work.

The next question is, how much "creep" can your application tolerate?

1mm?
    0.1mm?
    0.01mm?

And then,how long will it take to achieve that limit with your intended loading?

EDIT: Actually, as usual, it's perhaps more complicated than that.

For example, suppose it mustn't sag more than Y mm during a print.

But then at the start of the next print, it doesn't matter that it sagged in the previous print (since one can re-calibrate Z-offset).

Until the sum of all the sagging starts to cause a different kind of problem!

#8 R Design, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016