BigBox printing fine then terrible Z noise/issue

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Proto_BB, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

I have been printing a bunch of different parts on my BigBox. All of a sudden my Z has started making some terrible noises. When I "auto-home" it sounds like the Z screws are not turning at the same time and makes a grinding noise. The Rumba then resets itself by the looks of things as the LCD goes off then comes back into startup mode.

When I disable the steppers and twist the Z screws by hand it moves fine. Using the Prepare -> Move for the Z it only moves one direction (down). I did a "Restore from fail-safe" but that made no difference.

Doing an "auto-home" and the bed only moves downwards making a grinding noise.

Anyone else seen this? It was running fine for the last week and then this.

2. Proto_BB

Swapping the Z stepper leads over with the Y on the Rumba and I still get the reset with the first try. But the big difference is that after the first reset the Z steppers turn in both directions when plugged into the Y.

3. Proto_BB

I removed one of the servo driver boards (running one of my extruders) from the Rumba and put it in place of the Z driver. The Z appears to function. It does however reset the board when I start the Rumba and then instruct it to move an axis. It always resets. After the first reset it seems to function normally which is strange.

I'm not sure if my Rumba is toast or if its just a bad servo driver. Hard to really know until the next servo driver dies..

4. cez

cez Well-Known Member

Did you figure this out in the end?

5. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

the issue is with the connecter to the board(zaxis motors), cut the cables and strip themand connect them into the screw in bar(take a picture before for refrence of the order!) the issue is that the connecter doesnt make a very good connection to both cables so one doesn't get enough power.
    could be short circuiting and thats why your rumba crashes, i hope this helps!

cez likes this.
  6. pSimon

pSimon Member

Just to add - I had the same issue with the connector.

Fixed by stripping, crimping and using the screw terminals.

7. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

they should really fix that tbh

8. Proto_BB

The issue in my case was the servo driver board. Replacing it and the Z magically became perfect. Incidentally it's done hundreds of hours in printing since then without issue. I had my Y axis shift on a print. I swapped out the servo driver on that axis and it never happened again. I figure these little servo drivers get a bit hot from time to time. The voltages were all tuned to spec. They didn't have the heat sink on them. I really should have not neglected that step as it may have saved the two drivers. I'm currently running heat sinks on all drivers now. My Bigbox is currently mid way through a 30hr print - the first of 6 that I need to do..

mike01hu likes this.