SOLVED BigBox Pro - X axis stepper gone wonky!

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Andy Qua, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Andy Qua

Andy Qua Member

Halfway through a print the other day and all of a sudden the X-Axis stepper suddenly started behaving really oddly in that it suddenly just started jerking in only one direction (right) and just wouldn't move left.

I had to power off the BigBox, and on powering it on, when I try to move the x-axis, it either judders back and forth or moves a little to the right.

I've checked the connections to the Rumba and all looks fine and also checked the voltage for the X-Axis stepper and that is right where it should be.

I've tried changing the Motor to another one and that behaves exactly the same.

I've also re-flashed the firmware to see if that made a difference and of course it didn't.

I'm now out of ideas and hoping that someone may be able to help?

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem, though slightly different. My Z movement doesn't seem to be doing exactly what it's told, meaning that I can't confidently print anything. Given that you've switched motors (in my case two separate Z motors can't be misbehaving in exactly the same way at the same time), it makes me wonder if the Rumba is not telling the motors what to do correctly. I'm also lost and considering changing the board to a Duet at some point if I can't figure it out. I wonder if it could be a faulty stepper driver for both of us... Unfortunately I don't have a spare one of these lying around. Though actually, I could test the stepper for the second extruder ...

3. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Please clarify "I've tried changing the Motor to another one and that behaves exactly the same."

Do you mean the same stepper misbehaves when connected to a different stepper driver, or that when you connect the x-driver to a different stepper the second stepper misbehaves?

Painfully clear descriptions are a big help when asking for help :)

4. Andy Qua

Andy Qua Member

Sorry, I should has said I swapped out the original motor for a different working one and that has the same behaviour (ruling out a motor issue)

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Ahh! My x-axis driver failed in a similar manner I believe after several hundred hours. I doubt those GeeTech drivers are particularly reliable. I replaced it with a Pololu Black driver board and the problem went away. If you stick with the A4988 based drivers, heatsinks wouldn't be a bad idea on the driver chips

Andy Qua likes this.
  6. Andy Qua

Andy Qua Member

Ahhh - didn't think that it may be the driver board - will try swapping those over and seeing if it is that! - Thanks!

7. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I agree with Ephemeris. I had similar problems in the first week I had my BigBox running. Replaced the stepper driver with another one and the problem was solved. If that doesn't help, you could check the X-axis end-stop.

Andy Qua likes this.
  8. Andy Qua

Andy Qua Member

It was the stepper driver. Now one arrived this morning - swapped it over and all working again!

Thanks for the pointers!