BigBox Situation Update

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Greg Holloway, May 11, 2016.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll try and give you some information about where we are with the BigBox pre-orders, what's happening in general and when things will ship!

Titan Upgrade kits.

IMG_20160511_115949.jpg

These are quite literally going out the door today. Cat is packing these and shipping them out as I type.

Motors

IMG_20160511_114741.jpg

We are waiting for motors from China, we have arranged to have a batch air freighted over and they will be here in about two weeks time. In stock now we have ~60 Pro Kits and ~20 Dual Kits.

Printed Parts

IMG_20160511_114716.jpg

We are changing our printing process from mass production of a few parts to pre-grouped kits which can be bagged off the printer and then added to a general printed parts box. This saves a huge amount of time in packing and sorting.

IMG_20160511_114645.jpg

While we move to the new system Chris is sorting through the old parts and bagging them up into the general and options bags we now use.

IMG_20160511_114732.jpg

This is quite a lengthy process but once we have moved to the new system things will be considerably faster!

Laser cutting Plywood and Acrylic.

IMG_20160511_113823.jpg

The plywood is all cut and Ian is putting it through the sanding machines. As soon as he is done we will be shipping plywood kits. We are cutting acrylic too and will be shipping those out when we have full frame kits ready.

General information.

IMG_20160511_113921.jpg

On top of all this we are moving the print farm from it's current location to a new specially built room directly below where we will have space for 30 printers. At the minute we have some electricians in to install all the required power outputs. There is also a load of new shelving for the room to be put together.

If you have any questions, or queries please post them below. Thank you for your patience!

Attached Files:

2. Pau Rosello

Pau Rosello Member

Really nice! Keep up the good work and improving!

3. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

Greg, all we have been really wanting is information. We know there have been issues and from what I have seen is that most of the community understands that and have no problems there. What almost everyone seems to have a problem with is that we seems to get left in the dark for weeks at a time when something happens. If something is going to get delayed. Post us a message with a quick explanation of what happened and an idea what we can expect. We understand that something else might happen and we won't be holding y'all to exact dates. We just want to know what is going on. We think you have a great product, we think you folks are working your butts off. But at times you seem to forget that without keeping us informed about what is going on we start getting a bit worried about the state of things.

4. corey

corey Well-Known Member

I can confirm they are going out the door today as i just got my shipping notice for my dual titan upgrade, Keep up the good work all :)

This reminds me of the Ultimaker launches same issues same stock problems and same community rants.... All part of company's growing pains......

5. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

The update is welcome, but still no real information in there that helps people understand when they are getting their kits...

If the plywood kits are ready to go as soon as Ian finishes the sanding, when you you expect that to be..?

Glad to hear you are cutting acrylic, but when will you actually have full frame kits ready to ship?

Given you have 60/20 sets of motors in stock and more coming in two weeks, will the motors in stock cover two weeks worth of shipments or are you going to run out?

Will the motors in stock cover the plywood orders you will ship, assuming those orders are going to ship within the next two weeks?

Will there be any left over for acrylic orders, assuming you actually have frames ready to ship) or are those all going to have to wait for the new motors to arrive?

Finally, it has to be asked, why are you making such major changes to your whole production capability right at the point when you were supposed to be in the middle of volume shipments? The numbers you needed to produce, the components you required to do this have been known for some time, and the cash required to fund it has been in your hands for the same amount of time, so why does this all appear to be happening at the last minute?

JonGillam likes this.
  6. Imko

Imko Active Member

I just notices part X1 on the Parts Board photo.. is a stepper motor damper included with the bigbox 1.1?

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Yes :)

Kyle Schwab and Imko like this.
  8. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

This week.

This week.

That will cover the two weeks until the new kits arrive.

We will ship as much as we can with the motors we have available. They will not all be plywood kits shipped. It will be a mix.

We will be shipping in pre-order sequence and as we get acrylic cut any outstand plywood orders will fall back into the queue.

This is a good question and it does all look rather last minute. These are changes that we have been wanting to do for some time and the unexpected delays that we encoured with the Z-Axis Leadscrews and other complications threw our plans off completely. We are adjusting now while we can. The printfarm production is ahead of everything else and now is a good time to make the changes in that respect.

Stefan, Colin, JonGillam and 4 others like this.
  9. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks Greg.

10. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway is it possible to say how many of each type got sent out every day to make people more aware, or do you anticipate this to anger people more if its not in a specific order?

11. Kyle Schwab

Kyle Schwab Member

This is fantastic news! Thanks for the pictures. Keep up the good work!

12. Kyle Schwab

Kyle Schwab Member

Do you already have your Bigbox?

13. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

All I want to know is if mine shipped! Lol

14. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

That's all I really want along with everyone else. Imagine if something like this was said, "Edge will be released friday, and your Bigbox will be shipped between the 18th-20th". (Note: This was not said)

15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thanks, good news! Now, on the communications/informations side, we have sort of got used to weeks of silence and speculation followed by a sudden blur of info. One idea would be a weekly status update, even if things seems slow at the moment any little tidbit (or even gossip) is better than silence.

Again, a big thank you to Greg for this info!

Chris Toast likes this.
  16. Hans C.

Hans C. Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit: for God's sake, send that scoop back ASAP! Might speed things up for those of us who haven't got their Haribos yet. ;)

17. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Thanks for the added details Greg, it does help people manage their expectations.

18. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Thanks @Greg Holloway and the team and my apologies for any impatience shown on my part, especially now, as my upgrade kit has been shipped!!!

19. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

- Still waiting for a firmware bugfix
    - the titan upgrade should have been a full 1.1 upgrade, including a new top right plate and those dampeners

Can't shake the feeling support for kickstarter version has already been dropped

#19 Falc.be, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Good news! I suspect mine will arrive the day I leave for Moogfest 2016, I don't think I'll assemble it in the hotel.

mike01hu likes this.