BigBox Situation Update

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Greg Holloway, May 11, 2016.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

What bugfix?

The top lid adds about 4mm, it's really not worth the extra cost it would add for the tops. If you're that bothered by it modify your existing top.

The dampers will be listed online at some point as a separate item for those who would like one.

eh?

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

The titan is a separate product. The kickstarter version was fulfilled, and they are still supporting the kickstarter version. It is the price of being one of the "first"
    If you want to upgrade that is up to you. The kickstarter version worked, and if it didn't they did support you. Its hard to keep all of the upgrades and what not straight. There is a v1.1 bigbox extruder that you don't have to use with the Titan, that is the bigbox support that you are talking about being dropped. If you want the Titan, it may come at a little bit of cost, IE, a loss in 4mm of printing, and the dampener, I don't believe I have ever heard of that being an v1.1 upgrade in terms of an upgrade kit.

#22 Chase.Wichert, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Colin likes this.
  3. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

On the one hand, if you order a new BB right now it does come with Titan, the dampener and the adjusted frame, but it would have been crazy to bundle all that into the Titan upgrade kit when relatively few people will actually want anything more than the Titan itself, so why increase the costs for everyone?.

The dampeners are easy to find online and many have probably already made that 'upgrade' anyway.

4. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Bugfixes:

- There are bugs with manually setting the temperature, it usually resets to 210, even with auto temp off, i have lost several prints due to this
    - Setting fan speed during printing actually changes flow rate
    - when trying to select a file for printing from SD, the menu becomes slow and unresponsive, on top of that, he usually selects the wrong file

Fair enough with the rest, but i want the firmware bugs fixed with an official release,last one is 6 months old beta. This what I meant with no support, sbould have been clearer on that

#24 Falc.be, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. Chase.Wichert

there is a default pla and abs temperature setting in the lcd menu, I found that when I set that higher I didn't get that auto reset when setting the temp higher...

6. corey

corey Well-Known Member

@Kyle Schwab Yes it was delivered 4 months late and not a single post about it from me in this public forum, Why you ask ?

7. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The firmware was updated on our repository some time ago to include the few tweaks that were recommended. The bugs that you refer to are Marlin bugs and not specific to BigBox. RC6 is available from the main marlin repository which after a few number changes works fine with the BigBox | https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

When I get a few moments I will update the repositories. Or if you ask @Alex9779 I'm sure he'll be happy to point you towards one of his repositories :)

Colin and Pierce like this.
  8. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

There was (is?) a safety limit also on manual print temperatures (e.g. you can't select 300 from the dial, only via software, it auto resets back to 210 to prevent you accidentally choosing a crazy high temp by accident)

9. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I was wondering why this happened when using the dial!!! Thanks for the info.

10. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

It even does that when i raisd it by 2 degrees

I have lost several prknts because of it, temp dropped from 255 to to 235 like a stone and i got a thermal runaway error

11. Chase.Wichert

Weird I've never experienced that I guess... Maybe what I was thinking of was when I tried to preheat abs manually it wanted to go to like 835 degrees. But I have manually set the temp and had it go down to 210 then just set the temp again and it took it, set it on the dial.

12. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I don't think the big box is capable of extruding metal yet :)

on the other hand pewter has a proper melt temp for 3d printing, I wonder how one would make that work

13. Chase.Wichert

I dunno that would be pretty cool though.. I feel like watery type liquid stuff would be hard to 3D print in a conventional way.

14. Miasmictruth

I was thinking the same thing until I watch a youtube video of a guy trying to print pewter, looked like his biggest issues was getting it to stick to the bed. I bet if you cast and clamped a thing sheet of pewter to the bed it would solve the adhesion issues. I would post the link but youtube is blocked where I am at.

Pair that with Richraps pellet extruder and just the right amount of cooling... It might be possible I doubt you would ever bridge anything but would be an interesting experiment if I had the time.

15. Chase.Wichert

How easy would pewter supports clean off? lol

16. jstefanop

jstefanop Member

So is it still 8 weeks + for a new BigBox order until shipment...or will this time be coming down soon?

17. Miasmictruth

No idea heh, but its soft so should be able to cut them. However we should probably move this discussion to a separate if you want to talk about it more :)

18. Chase.Wichert

Nah, i'm good lol I don't have time to figure it out anyway.

19. Kyle Schwab

Kyle Schwab Member

Just wondering if you were on the preorder list. I'm sorry it was late but I hope you're enjoying it now.

20. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

It would be prudent to assume it is 8 weeks then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be less :)