BigBox stopped working

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jonas, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

My BigBox dual didn't startup today when I powered it on.
    No beep from rumba. No text on LCD, only back light. Octopi can't connect. This is what it looks like with the electronics cover removed.
    IMG_0132.JPG

I haven't used the printer for a week. Last print ran out of filament. I heated up the extruder from LCD. removed the filament. Shutdown the Raspberry Pi from Octoprint and then cut the power. Today the Rasperry Pi starts up, but the printer does not. I guess its something with the RUMBA, but don't really know.
    Any suggestions what I should do?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

You are getting power to the Rumba as the green light is on and I assume the two red lights about a cm to the right come on as the power is applied but then go out? In fact they both flash dimly every 3 ish seconds from then on.

As the only connections from the screen to the Rumba are the two ribbon cables and as it worked previously (so cables swapped over as per instructions) then either the Rumba is dead or the connections at one end or the other of the ribbon cables may not be fully home.

3. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

The two red lights do light up at power on and turn off again after about 5 sec. But I can't see that they are flashing dimly afterwards.
    The ribbon cables are fully connected at both ends.

A faulty Rumba is very disappointing. I haven't used it much :(

4. Old_Tafr

That is just a guess on my part. I'm trying to think of the possibilities. Others could simply be that the display (obviously not the backlight) has failed.

Have you tried turning the control (as if you could see the display) and seeing if anything happens?

After turning on and waiting a few seconds this should get you to "auto-home"

Press ONCE (beep)
    Turn control anti-clockwise TWO CLICKS
    Press ONCE (beep)
    Turn control anti-clockwise TWO CLICKS
    Press ONCE (beep)

(be prepared on the mains switch to tun the printer off in case you get the wrong selection and crash the nozzles)

This should do the normal...

Raise bed toward nozzles
    Trigger IR sensor
    Bed drops a fraction
    Bed raises a fraction
    Nozzles move to "home" position

-----------------------------------------------------------

Other simple options are...

Check the supply voltage is correct on the bottom right connections where they arrive from the power supply.
    Power off and check all physical connections are made properly
    No loose/stray wires laying on the board?

PS. How do you know that OctoPi can't connect? Just nothing on display or did you try from a browser?

5. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Below is a screen dump from Octoprints Terminal tab.

Skärmavbild 2016-04-30 kl. 17.21.57.png

When I press the Connect button this text appears

Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
    Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x1b1d350, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=230400, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
    Send: N0 M110 N0*125
    Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Closed'
    Connection closed, closing down monitor

I have 24V at the power connectors. No loose wires. Everything is connected.

There are no beeps and no movement on the printer when I use the click wheel as you suggest

Thanks for helping me!

6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Have you tried removing the Pi USB cable as the Pi may have corrupted on the shut down and causing the Rumba to hang?

7. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I have tried it now ;)
    The only difference is that the two red leds stay on.

8. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

I've tested the connection sequence with my machine. This is what I get when I try to connect to the Rumba with the Rumba switched off:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Detecting serial port'
    Serial port list: []
    Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting serial port' to 'Error: Failed to autodetect serial port, please set it manually.'
    Failed to autodetect serial port, please set it manually.

And this is what I get when the Rumba is turned on:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x18be0f0, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=230400, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
    Recv: start
    Recv: echo: External Reset
    Recv: Marlin 1.1.0-RC6
    Recv: echo: Last Updated: 2016-04-27 01:56 | Author: Alex9779

This is OK.My board does the same. So there is communication , and that is good news.

Your Rumba is not bricked, otherwise your messages would look be like Failed to autodetect...

There is a slight possibility the firmware on the board has an issue, although I have never encountered this during the years that I flashed arduinos. You could try and flash the firmware again, see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, disconnect all wires and test again....

#8 Rob Heinzonly, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

OK. I tried to flash the firmware using the guide I found on this forum. I used a firmware I downloaded from @Alex9779, (Marlin_BigBox_Dual-1.1.0-RC6). This is what it looks like when I try.

Skärmavbild 2016-04-30 kl. 20.53.28.png

10. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Ok. Too bad :(.
    Then there are two options left over:
    1. Try the same with the Firmware Updater in Octopi (e.g. flash the firmware, preferably with a .hex file).
    2. Disconnect all connectors/wires and look at the terminal in Octopi, see if it connects.

11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

OK. Now I have tried those two suggestions. Unfortunately with no success. Still the same...
    It starts to feel like I have to buy a new RUMBA...

I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you

12. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Have a read through this. The USB firmware might have been corrupted.

reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA#USB_connection_.28Writing_in_progress.29

13. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I have tried now with mac, linux and windows and I am not able to flash the USB firmware. Always get "no device present". Not sure the Rumba bord enters DFU-mode. When I removed the stepper drivers I noticed that Y had a different setting than the others. Maybe not related to my problem, but I thought I should mention it. You can see on the picture below that one jumper is different.
    IMG_0133.JPG

14. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

That just means that Y is running with 8 microsteps while the rest are running with 16. Mine is the same, so I believe that should be correct.

15. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

I see from the picture that the power selector jumper is not set to USB power. This need to be moved to USB power if you have disconnected all wiring including power supply.

16. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I was on USB power. I have moved it back so I know what it looked like originally.

17. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I have given up. I ordered a new rumba. Strangely E3D don´t sell rumba board separately. Anyway, it should arrive next week.

18. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Surely support should have sent you a replacement if we have determined it is that dead ? Did you ask ?

19. Old_Tafr

I know it has been discussed before and I know the Rumba (and Pi) come in anti-static bags, but it is worth taking anti-static precautions, grounding yourself on a water pipe, a screw on the back of a mains connected PC, or using an anti-static strap when handling and before/during making any connections with both Pi and Rumba.

The effect of static damage is usually not immediate, it can take days or weeks to happen.

Taking care with the green screw connectors is worthwhile too, they twist alarmingly when you screw the connections down tight. Holding the connector block with long nosed pliers during tightening helps stop them rotate and possibly break a connection.

Either problem could cause the board to malfunction.

mike01hu likes this.
  20. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

No, I did not ask. In my experience there is no warranty on PCBs. Maybe I'm wrong and should have asked, but it's too late now.