BigBox stopped working

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jonas, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a strange error with the analog input for one PT100 sensor board and they replaced my RUMBA... Was very strange. When I powered up the box one day after some seconds the second hotend read a value of 83° C. But it was cold. I started heating the second hotend it heated properly but when set to any value it was cooler than the other hotend set to the same value... The strange thing happened when I started printing. It seemed that if the motors are powered the sensor reading was fine. I tried that with cold hotend, I moved one axis and the sponsor reading was 23° C, when the motors powered down either be the timeout or by manually disabling the steppers the reading returns to 83° C so a difference of about 60° C. And that difference went away if the motors were powered and returned when they were not.

Two emails and E3D sent me a replacement RUMBA. I am very very pleased with the support so far, good reaction, no dumb questions or anything else, just accepted the error and sent me a replacement. First the heated bed which did not show a temperature, then the RUMBA...

THANKS E3D for the support! :D Thumbs up!!!

2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Hello

I have gotten my new Rumba and I'm wondering what I need to do before connecting it.

Jonas

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nothing Special if you got it from E3D connect it then tune your stepper drivers and maybe a new firmware...

4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I got it from elsewhere. I'm guessing firmware and then tuning is still what's needed. Anything else?

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well then you gotta check the jumpers under the stepper drivers but that also depends on what stepper drivers you use. And you gotta check all the jumpers for selecting the voltage, some connectors can be set to 12V and 24V. The BigBox components all run with 24V

6. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

My bigBox is still not working...

I have installed a new RUMBA board. I flashed it, connected it and then powered it on.
    This new board gives no error messages or timeouts when I flash it.
    When I power the BigBox on I get no beep and nothing on the LCD except backlight . If I turn or press the knob, no sound or signs of live.

If I look at the terminal tab in octoprint I see this

Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
    Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x1fd9cd0, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=230400, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
    Send: N0 M110 N0*125
    Recv: �/��Qj����-���Rj��Q��.��$���KP������V��,�����$�������A�-�������������GA����*�����W��2������$KT�����V�A�������R��B�����T���������������u�,n��)
    Recv: ����GA�-���nA���NT���J���������K*��u�6u�b������������������������u�,������N������1Q�Qj������������������������%����u�(�����-W��/���������Qj����������f����j��������*��q����-V�����B}�V���wY�R���V�����R}�V�����u�6e�B��������������������q����T�A�,V�������������V�����5Q�R}�*���������V�����5U�
    Recv: y�.���/�����CA��WA��V��������b��UN�����V���W����W��������5Q��������A�-����5U���u�2e�%N�������������������E��������u����c��-����*��u�6e�b�������������u�*���/����T�����������%��������$���������>*��q�.��GA�-���jq�,3��W����u�6a��������u�2e���*����S����������)����������.������I����)�����������-�������T��-.*
    Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Closed'
    Connection closed, closing down monitor

So the board is not completely dead, which is a good thing since it is brand new.

I have reflashed the board, but no difference.

Whats wrong?

Before all this happened I have printed 9 different prints. So the BigBox has worked. Im starting get get a bit dejected :(

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Which exact firmware file did you flash and when did you download?

8. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

I downloaded Marlin_BigBox_Dual-1.1.0-RC6 from your github (Thanks, by the way) about a month ago

9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

IT'S WORKING AGAIN!!! :D

As I read what I said in the previous post, I thought maybe I should download a newer version. So I did. This time Marlin-BigBox-Dual-Alex9779-RC. Compiled and uploaded it. IT STARTED UP AGAIN! I don't know why, but I'm very happy now.

Thanks Alex9779. I could kiss you you right now. Fortunately, for both of us, we live far apart and will most likely never meet, and if we do, I would have calmed down by then ;)

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Err ok did nothing but ok...
    You can go to https://jenkins.alitecs.de for already compiled firmware if you like...

#30 Alex9779, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  11. CHP

CHP Active Member

My RUMBA died today too. I tried to flash my own Marlin through Octoprint but it did not succeed. After that screen kept blank, connecting with USB didn't work either.
    I even build a Arduino ISP programmer and with that I successfully flashed the ATMega16U2 and the 2560 but it stays dead. Guess I need a new RUMBA.

Edit/Update:
    I could revive my RUMBA by flashing the correct bootloader (RRD-RUMBA_ATmega2560_ArduinoBoot.hex) through the ISP. After that I could flash normal Firmware images through the USB.

#31 CHP, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016