BigBox V1.1& More Goodies

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by TstarkEngineering, Apr 1, 2016.

1. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

We will see. I am mor interested in the titan with thin motors to see if it can be used for a smaller direct dual instead or a something using the chimaera. But first i need to finish to mount my BB and at this rate the upgrade packs might be available before I am done :-(

2. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

fpex
    Ahhh but the upgrades being released while you're still building can be seen as a good thing.
    I got the single head, now folks have come up with improved designs on the dual I can upgrade to one of their plans with pluggable wiring and magnetic connectors.
    Then by the time I've learnt my trade on the dual, those 1.1 upgrades will have been tweaked by the early adopters.
    The only time I want to be cutting edge at the forefront is when E3D release the pancake and syrup printer.

mike01hu likes this.
  3. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

This is true. I am going to mount it as is, play with it and see what changed it deserved. My goal stays the same, to make a magnetic mount for fans and find a way to get the heads moves in dual in a similar fashion to what my felixPro1 does.

4. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

So i just got mine running, not all ks backers have got theirs and there's already a new version :confused:

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Heh welcome to the world of being an early adopter :). That's the price you pay for getting the kit early.

It's all good, I am starting with a single pro and upgrading to dual later. A decision I have doubted myself on a few times. But now if I can upgrade to Titan and dual in one hit that would be great.

6. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The mass of two stepper motors on the dual X-Carriage is considerable, so moving them to the body of the printer means less mass to move so potentially faster more accurate printing.

More space on the carriage would also mean room for more extruders. 3? 4?

But possibly less accurate deposition of material as the force is being applied a lot further away and via a bendy tube.

7. wahatever

wahatever Member

Pay in advance and then wait 8 month to get the kit after an updated kit is announced. Is more correct. :mad:

Steve W likes this.
  8. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

But the update is optional... Not mandatory.

Some updates could be optimisation of production cost. Not necessarily a clear end customer improvement.

I hope that they offer something that benefits both, customer and producers.

There is never a good time to announce an update. Someone always just ordered their unit. So no point in waiting just announce it...

I'm more glad that this time the pre-announcement was made to the customer I a good way. The other delay announcements was something I had to find myself on the kick-start page... And I'm not a backer.

PS
    I hate to wait... I want my printer yesterday... But I work with product development... Experience tells me that sometimes I need patience... And that all changes are not always evil...
    DS

#28 GrodanB, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  9. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it'd be shortsighted to believe that design work hadn't started on the next wave of improvements almost as soon as production started. You buy a car today and I can promise you it's replacement is at least 2/3rds way through it's development, anything IT related is pretty much previous generation tech by the time it is in your hands...plus the people getting version 1.1 paid more and have to wait longer.

If you're in luck the cost of the upgrade will be roughly the same as the cost difference between the KS edition and the 1.1 when it is on sale. Then you also get the benefit of being able to configure it either way. I can see scenarios where Livi's setup for example might not be as good.

10. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

Being a rookie in the 3d Printing world. I am kind of happy about getting the v1.1 instead of the KS version.

11. Imko

Imko Active Member

Titans in update 1.1...... Personaly i think it More like "a bigger hole lasercut so we can het easier to the SD Card" kind of stuff. Nice and ill take it sure!!

I Hope i AM Wrong tho ;-)

12. Large

Large Active Member

Yes, I'm thinking about doing that. I'll just have to wait and see when the kit will be available and to what price. Out of experience from my previous printer build there will be mods done anyhow. :)

Edit: spelling

#32 Large, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  13. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I think the basic idea of the kit is that it can be modded and changed. There will alway be upgrade in kit based printers, and mods. But they might never be something that much be done and sometimes not even improvements. I for one prefer a direct drive printer, so the only interesting thing for me is a titan if it works well with a thin motor. A bowden set up or mixed, is of little interest

14. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

It's an "upgrade" not an "update" your getting exactly what you paid for, and it will do exactly what they say it will!If you wanted, you could pay for the "upgrade" when it is released the same as everybody else!

#34 Springfield-Jack, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  15. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that in the picture it looks like there is only one fan? I wonder if they have adjusted the fan duct design at all.

16. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Think this will be well worth the wait then... don't like it but seems like the updates will be awesome!

17. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Something also to realize is this will never be the end for ideas and innovations by e3d, I'm sure more fun stuff will be released again within a few more months. That is one of the reasons why e3d is so good is because they never stop improving.

cez and mike01hu like this.
  18. cez

cez Well-Known Member

I'm really excited I cant wait to get my BigBox in the post. I have my I3 running perfectly now and producing good prints. I feel ready to take on the dual build.

19. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

: [​IMG]

Looking at this pic from E3D's twitter, I think they may have completely redesigned the fan duct so that blows from the back. What I thought was a single fan at the side on the kickstarter pic may well be the IR sensor. There also appears to be some sort of heat block cover with an embossed E3D logo - possibly along the lines of a silicone cover that was being discussed in another thread. Exciting! Hopefully E3D will reveal all soon.

Rob Heinzonly likes this.
  20. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

That block with the logo is the titan extruder. Anyhow, will love to change the carriage i anything smaller s long as direct drive!