COMPLETE BigBox XL (increased Z height)

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Tom De Bie, May 15, 2016.

1. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have some TR8 leadscrew lying around which are 500mm in stead of the 347mm which is used in building the BB and in stead of cutting the leadscrew I thought it would be nice to have 15cm (153mm) more Z-build space...

After spending multiple hours trying (read as: failing) different CAD programs I'm flabbergasted in how difficult it is to just add/extent a couple of lines in one file. Let alone do it on 5 files :/
    I'm curious if there are people here that have a decent understanding of a CAD program and who are willing to put in the time in to editing the DXF files for the casing of the printer?

With kind regards,

Tom

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Haha that's a great idea!

fyi. the original drawings were created using Corel Draw (a 2D program) which is probably much nicer to work with than most freeware.

3. R Design

btw. @Tom De Bie do you think you might want some reinforcement to compensate the extra height? (Might be a part of the DXF project.)

For example, in front at the top?

4. Tom De Bie

That's actually not a bad idea. Create a small strip to reinforce the upper front corner.
    I'll first start with downloading a demo of Corel Draw. Or might this also be possible with Photoshop?

5. R Design

Definitely not Photoshop - which is an image editor rather than a vector graphics program.

Corel's the one if you can get a free trial...

And the fun will be the nut traps! ;-)

6. Tom De Bie

I just learned something about myself the last couple of hours... I don't now squad about Coreldraw either.
    Downloaded a trial (15 days) and started with one piece of the case, but the farthest I got was cutting and pasting, but then the lines turn a light grey and it won't print on the plotter :(
    Since I'm gonna try to cut the plywood with my Demel Moto-saw I'm going old school with the plans. Printing the dxf files to a A0 sheet of paper, cutting this at a certain height in half and gluing the upper and lower part 153mm apart on the plywood. Then, with a good old pencil and ruler, connecting the lines on the open part of the plywood...
    It will certainly become an original ;)

7. Tom De Bie

I did one better then the old pencil and ruler. Got my trusting old paint from under the cobwebs and altered the image that way. Ok now you can't cut it any more with a laser, but I can surely print it on a A0 and transfer it to the plywood.
    Added are all four images needed to heighten the Z-axis by 14cm's. The extra 13mm I let go, because of the spacing of the nut traps

Attached Files:

#7 Tom De Bie, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. R Design

Radical!

I suppose if you can't have a lasercutter, a large format printer is the next best thing....

I'll just make do with my pencil case of tools. ;-)

9. evenbor

evenbor Member

Im almost finished redrawing the case to use 6mm Plywood.
    This will maybe give some extra support if you are going to extend the hight.
    Im using Autocad, who is a great tool to modify this file.

10. Tom De Bie

Thank you, but I think using paint to do design work doesn't warrant that reply :oops:

I was also planning to use 6mm plywood because this is easier to source locally... But was planning on sanding/filing the holes so the extra mm would fit. I am Definitely interested in your files if only to use them as a starter point to make them 139.5mm higher, unless you might be persuaded to do just that? :D

11. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I had a look at some of the frame .dxf files and found that they opened made up of blocks. This makes modifying them tricky!

I found that I had to explode them several times over (run the command and reselect each time). This then would allow me to stretch the outlines as needed.

For this type of work, it's the stretch command you need (at least in most CAD packages).

Hope this helps,

J

12. evenbor

evenbor Member

I Hope to test the 6mm files on the lasercutter on Monday. When they are ok, I can extend the hight for you

Tom De Bie likes this.
  13. Tom De Bie

I recreated the nut trap for the 6mm plywood in 123D design. Just don't have access to my printer at the moment to test print it. Will have to wait until Monday when I'm at work ;)

Attached Files:

14. Tom De Bie

Hey guys,

Asked someone at work if he had the time to edit the files for me and guess what... :D
    Here are the correct Z-axis extended files...So only the sides have been altered. The other 'original files' you can download from thingiverse ;)

Attached Files:

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend the nut trap retainer clips. Looks like you need a new version of those as well.

16. KRavEN

KRavEN Member

We're the files modified for 6mm as well or is the new nut trap all that was needed?

17. Tom De Bie

No. The files aren't modified for 6mm because I'm still looking for a place to cut the plywood and if I find the right place (read: money friendly) I'll have to check if they use 5 or 6mm. Doing it by hand doesn't give a nice finish...and more importantly the frame doesn't fit well if you're off by half a mm :/

18. R Design

@Tom De Bie suggest you type your nearest major town in the searchbox https://www.fablabs.io

Fablabs invariably have lasercutters and are cheap to use.

Commercial cutting is rather expensive. For reasons that are purely commercial.

19. KRavEN

KRavEN Member

I'm almost complete with my mpcnc build so use that to cut it out. I've been thinking of using alumet aluminum composite instead of plywood. I can get a 4' x 8' 3mm sheets in a variety of colors for $90 and 6mm sheets in black or white for $130. I think 3mm would work since the stuff is stronger and lighter than acrylic.

#19 KRavEN, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  20. Tom De Bie

Thx for thinking with me.
    I've had contact with the fablabs in my area and the only one that can cut such a large plate is the one in Maastricht. I just have to wait until they settle in on their new location. ;)
    They ask 1€ per minute of cutting, but use plywood of 4.45mm so I'm currently also checking out some other options.