Blackened Thermistor Insulation

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by jeffhuber, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jeffhuber

jeffhuber Member

[​IMG]

My thermistor insulation looks a lot like this one and I'm wondering if that is contributing to my jamming issues? I was able to print a few parts yesterday over 2 hours each with no problem *with* the blackened insulation as a pre-existing condition - so I'm thinking not, but want to double check. I'm trying to rule out possibilities.

Thanks, Jeff

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jeff,

That certainly is interesting - the blackened appearance would indicate that you hotend has been on a temperature excursion to some really quite high temps. Especially seeing how far up the insulation and quite how black it is too. I've seen a few hotends that have come back which have a heavily charred residue clinging to the walls which seems to the cause of issues.

Here's an image taken with a microscope of a heatbreak with just such a charred residue on the inside of the heatbreak after I've milled the heatbreak in half:

[​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/mnB1Fit

The residue is tough, well adhered and rough. It is also not soluble in acetone. It would appear to be carbonised residue from very overheated polymer.

Not something I have a solution for clearing out yet.

3. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Additionally - you nozzle looks to be tightened up hard against the block, not with the gap between the hexagonal flat and the block as per the instructions which can cause a few issues.