BMG + Mosquito + Tool Changer

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Ntesla66, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

This is what I've got so far. The lighter weight LDO steppers should come in the mail today. The current weight less stepper is 230 grams. If the stepper weighs 150g like they say it does and if the stepper is strong enough...I'll be good to go. scaled1-min.jpg scaled2-min.jpg scaled3-min.jpg

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Looks intriguing.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  3. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

This is the toolhead hanging. It's tight and feels good. Now with some carefuling carefuling ...and the proper prayer to the electric pixies we'll see if it prints! scaled5-min.jpg scaled6-min.jpg

4. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Well.... Does it chooch? Looks great. Waiting with bated breath to see how the Hermes DD setup performs/costs.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  5. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

But Dose it dock or is there a need to extend the POM part and maybe the dock pins?

6. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

I had to extend the dock and once it was extended, none of the other docking positions would work without also being extended. I would have liked to have the option to take the majority of the tool out through the backplate in docked position but the belts for the xy are right there. Extension was the only option I could see. I'm trying to get this to work with the fewest modifications necessary and once I do, I'll post all the stl and step files to Thingiverse.

7. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

It doesn't chooch yet. I had an Aunt pass away in the middle of all this and it's been the choice of family over obsession the last few days. I promise you once it squirts the schmoo on demand, I'll let you know. ;)

8. Jai Stanley

Good stuff!

Got any more pictures or WIP STL files? Today I've utterly had enough with the Titan extruders... Going to fit a Bondtech in bowden configuration in a minute; but would prefer to fit it direct drive with a V6 heatsink I have round here somewhere... (I'm more of a multi-tool than multi-colour type)

Edit: I was writing that cheery message as yours came in (appeared aftger I posted): sorry to hear about your loss.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  9. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

Not ready for prime time yet, pardner. Yep, I was decidedly underwhelmed by the Titans...don't know what else to say about that. I'll get us some links... but I at least want it to not be DIP (Disaster in Progress) when I post it. Thanks for the condolences.

10. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

It lives!!!

Jai Stanley, Cam_Motion and blarbles like this.
  11. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

Looking good.

How fast is it chooching here?

What was the final weight and do you have a Hermes on order?

#11 Cam_Motion, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Ntesla66 likes this.
  12. Jai Stanley

Hermes on order? Are they doing pre-orders? I had a quick look on the store and couldn't find anything. I'm guessing (well hoping) they'll offer a complete tool head.

Awesome work on the choochage... Keep your stick on the ice!

Ntesla66 likes this.
  13. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

I've seen so many Hermes on here and twitter that I forgot Sanjay said they're not accepting preorders! Greg did say they'll be offering a complete tool head but only the Duet 2 style not the Duet 3 style with a separate board on the tool head.

14. Jai Stanley

Such is my re-kindled dislike of the Titan, I'm hovering over an ali express buy for some knock-off BMG's (I normally buy genuine only for obvious reasons, but these may be temporary) and mosquito style hot-ends. TBF I have enough genuine V6 stuff and a genuine BMG so could have a yomp at that; but your progress is giving me pause. Keep up the good work!

@Cam_Motion - thought I remembered hearing there will be a tool-head. I'm not going to need most of the additional benefits of the Duet 3 over the 2 for quite a while anyway; so that suits me.

Ntesla66 likes this.
  15. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

60mm/sec and more than I wanted it to... :/ scaled7-min.jpg As for a Hermes ...not as a first adopter...not unless one was sent to me.

Cam_Motion likes this.
  16. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

What's the print quality like?
    That's about what the Hermes is without the tool head. Does the wash from the heatbreak fan affect the print?

17. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

It's not terrible, but there's most certainly room for improvement. As for the heatbreak fan... Ive actually got it turned around backwards right now and haven't flipped it the right way over. I'm using this tool to print mirrored parts for a BMG+V6 tool head for tool position T0. I'll then tune both tools and then go for a multi-tool print. Right now I'm redesigning that PCF fan duct so It mirrors well and besides...I don't like it very much, it's to big. Here is the lizard you see printing in the video. scaled8-min.jpg

Spoon Unit likes this.
  18. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

I'd bet the Hermes will weigh more.

19. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I think @Greg Holloway or @Sanjay stated some where it will be 450 grams so almost the same

20. Cam_Motion

Cam_Motion Active Member

That's without the tool changer adapters so it will end up weighing more.