Bowden and Direct Drive

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Chris Toast, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've been keeping my eyes on 3d printing for about ten years now and have kept up with much of the movement over this time. Despite this, I've never owned a printer-instead focusing my time on 3d and CNC hobby. When I stumbled on the BB, I felt it would be the right entry point, despite it being geared for experienced owners. I took the plunge and went for the brass rings on a dual experimenter kit as it looked like the printer that I would spend many years growing into-and not out of.

That being said, I'd like to hear from the teams and experienced hobbiests on the subject.

Appreciate discussion and insight,
    Chris.

edit. deleted content because of innacurate information on my part.

#1 Chris Toast, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Direct drive extruders I think are superior because you don't get the backlash which can cause issues if you run with tiny retract lengths (which you can and should with the e3d hot ends) Also the gears on the geared ones wear out if you print lots. I killed a pinion in about 200 hours of printing on mine.

Bowden means you can run the extruders remote to the hotend which means less mass moving about. Which means less belt stretch. Which means higher potential print speeds and print volumes. Not sure why the BB isn't remote extruder...maybe the team can share the reasoning.

3. thingster

thingster Active Member

Both technologies have their pros and cons. Personally I wouldn't call direct drive that much superior. It also depends on what you want to do (print). Look at Ultimaker. They achieve stunning results and they are using Bowden.

I think the reason the BB3D team chose to go for direct drive is also to push their hotends that can easily cope with nearly any material you put in them, also flexible and spongy filaments (like NinjaFlex and Poro-Lay). It's much easier to feed those exotic filament types with a direct drive. So in the end: E3Dv6 + Direct Drive = ideal combination

Pierce likes this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I agree with @thingster. I've run both bowden and direct drive for a while now, and the real limiting factor on print speed is how fast you can push out filament. For most situations you really don't gain much going bowden, but you give up a lot in terms of material handling.

5. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

Appreciate the feedback for my noobish questions. Some of the materials I am most definitely interested in working with are the TPE varieties so DD would certainly be the preferred feeder for me anyways.

Thanks for the comments.