Bowden coupling

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Alex Stevenson, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

In the docs it say: "Note how the couplers (15) assemble with the lettering facing upwards."

I did this, and also found that you should push in the ring shaped part first, and the middle bit after.

When I test fitted the parts (before pushing them in to the printed cable bracket) I had noticed that if the writing was in opposite directions the fit was snug. However, now I've fitted it all together, the bowden coupling rattles in its position (the middle part).

Is this correct?

Thanks!

2. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Yes, is correct.

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  3. Alex Stevenson

That's a relief!

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

What it should say earlier is how the Bowden coupling works i.e. it allows the Teflon tube to be inserted, and more importantly REMOVED by pressing on the ring part with the writing on it. The instructions also need editing to say that the outer part should be pushed firmly into the bore.

The REMOVE note could be then referenced to the "Your First Print" section where you remove the Teflon tube to mark the filament as part of the calibration process. This will come as more people build and add their experiences and questions. The build WiKi is good and logical and getting better.

The bits that confused me (no comments please :) ) was, how the outer part fitted and why the Teflon tube only inserted a very short amount.......... mainly as there was no explanation of WHY and HOW the Bowden coupling worked.

5. Alex Stevenson

Agree @Old_Tafr, that part of the documentation was the first part that I was really stuck on - it's still great documentation, but bits like that aren't friendly to 3D printer newcomers like myself, and the bowden assembly is such a crucial component too.

It would be fantastic if there could be little tidbits as to the role of each of the parts, and how they work, as you're building them, through the manual. However, I'm so glad I didn't choose to have it pre-built (aside from the cost), as I'm sure I would have ended up scared to do anything to it that might cause a problem. Knowing the function of every single part of the printer, and how they fit together is fantastic knowledge to have.

Kick2box likes this.
  6. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

@Alex Stevenson That's the idea behind RepRap, not to produce consumer products for people who just want to use it. By the way, take the hours you spent building it, divide let's say by 2, take 300 GBP and calculate the wages...