Broken Fan

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by John Kilty, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Kilty

John Kilty Member

I live in the US and need to get my printer back up and running sooner rather than later. I'd prefer not to have to wait for the Fan to get through customs. There is a local store that sell 12v 30mm fans I'm not sure if it is powerful enough to cool the cold end.

Other than running the printer are there other ways I can check? Other stats about the fan I can compare to make sure it will do the job?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

(I got to the end and realised you didn't say if this was a BigBox? and 12v fan? when certainly mine and others are 24v)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E3D support may answer your question E3D Support <support@e3d-online.com>

They also have suppliers in the US, and on a spare fan I have supplied by E3D it has

XINYUJIE ELECTRONICS CO.LTD
    MODEL XYJ24B3010H
    DC 24V 0.08A

So I guess as well as being able to get an E3D fan Stateside you can also find one of the same power 24*0.08 = 1.92 watts and reasonably assume it blows the same amount of air. (If yours is 12v then just double the current to get the same power so 0.16A )

What is probably most critical is the size (30 mm X 30 mm) so that A. It fits on the shroud and B. The air from it blows only through the shroud and onto the fins.

It's two wire so no 3 wire (for PWM?) control needed, it simply runs all the time when the temp reaches 40oC

If your fan does not have a short fly lead and a two pin connector it's worth changing, either order the wires (with mating connector) that run down to the Rumba, or spend $2,000,000 on a crimp tool, plus sockets and pins. The pins are tiny so crimping is easier than accidentally blocking the tiny socket with solder.

There is another post on the plastic bits + pins and sockets needed and all the (one corrected) part numbers. I will have a look for that and post a link.

CONNECTORS

https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/molex-micro-fit-setup.1323/page-2

#2 Old_Tafr, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  3. John Kilty

John Kilty Member

I'll need to double check but I think the old fan was 12v. I don't remember if it was label. Since you didn't give me a yes or no, would you agree that if it uses about the same about of electricity, is the same size and fits the shroud properly it is good?

Please let me if the link can help answer you questions about if ti was a bigbox. I'm not 100% sure what that means.

Thanks.

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

5. John Kilty

John Kilty Member

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Double the price relative to what? A fan from E3D is 4.50GBP + 3.3GBP shipping = $10.19 shipped, and will arrive in about 2 weeks. A fan from us is $6.99 + $4 shipping = $10.99, and will arrive in about 3 days.

Also we only have one page, and when you click 24v, a photo of a 24v fan is displayed, and when 12v is clicked the photo doesn't show a voltage, so I'm not sure what you mean?