Build Guide Issues

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by James Woods, Mar 3, 2016.

1. James Woods

James Woods Member

BigBox+E3D I love you guys....seriously I really do... I'm your biggest fan. But the build guide is really frustrating. One of the promises was that you'd have "The Best" build guide and on that front it isn't. Pre-Build is great and it gives us mostly good guidance.

But starting at the brass barbs and on it drops off and make us guess and measure and likely mess up. It's just frustrating. I and I'm sure others expect better....especially given the delays. Don't just call out a M3 12 cap screw give us the bag number its in please!

#1 James Woods, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I actually thought the build guide was pretty good. I rarely got held up by it, and at not point had to post or email a question about what to do - and this was 2 months ago, much has been added since then.

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

This post makes me laugh, my first printer the guide was a 2 page sheet and that was it I had to hunt online for instructions.

If you open the bill of materials in another tab anything that doesn't have a bag you can look up in less than a few seconds. Also you can request access to wiki and update these missing bits

PsyVision likes this.
  4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I had to run my first build manual through Google translate to get it from Spanish into English.

Yes there may not be bag numbers at all parts so far but Greg is still working his way back over the manual adding more content. You have a BOM with bag numbers that provides a simple lookup list.

Pierce likes this.
  5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I think the guide is being constantly improved. I did keep the fixings errors, the fixings contents, and the guide open on three separate tabs and flicked backward and forwards. While it's not impossible to do that, it would be nice to have the bag clearly specified in each section. You do begin to know where things are a little, but after a sleep or food break, it's less clear.

6. salscode

salscode Member

Not sure they are supporting community edits. I requested access days ago with no reply other than automated email. I do know Greg is willing to make edits if you email him the edits.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The guide is still very much a WIP. It's getting there but it takes time and they're understandably busy. They apparently are hiring another engineer to help out

I asked josh about people registering for the wiki and will see if they can work on that part