Build Times

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by TstarkEngineering, Mar 6, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Curious what everyone's build Times have been. As my time is limited, I am curious roughly how many hours it takes.

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Mine was a good 20 ish hours.

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

14 hours from slicing open the package to starting the first print.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Hard to tell since I've had to stop twice due to major parts missing and once due to a broken part (and now waiting for bearings from ServoCity to replace the bad one)...

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

To date about eight hours to getting all the sub-assemblies made. About two hours or more actually checking I had all the parts and with no packing lists and no reliable pictures of printed parts this was difficult. I have to say though that I have not found anything missing.

I'm managing a couple of hours a day and so I expect the time to be more than the "two days" which I think is only possible if you have good DIY skills, all the right tools (immediately available) and previous experience, plus a good location to make the build where you don't have to share the space and not have to put parts away after each build session.

Is there a section for hints tips etc? as there are a number of things that could augment the already excellent build instructions.

6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

So far it has taken me almost two weeks, due to cracked acrylic back, and faulty bed, which I am waiting to hear back from E3D.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I would say 20 hours but I spent far too much time making mistakes and rebuilding :) You guys benefited from my failures

Pierce and TstarkEngineering like this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I didn't benefit enough Mike :). I didn't go crazy, so I did stop to sleep and attend to the calls of nature. I put my Y axis parts in upside down which was quite something to undo, and had a horrible moment where I realised I couldn't actually screw the Y to the back, the nuts wouldn't do up. I hadn't got the square nuts seated all the way to the bottom, so I had to take the top off again, and sort that out. I could myself lucky that I got that done without having to completely dissassemble the whole shebang. But to get to my number, about 30 hours I guess to get to first print.

I envy those people who bought a pre-assembled but I'm so glad I'm not in that category. There's no part of the machine that's a mystery to me and I know every can be fixed, undone, re-done. It was definitely an enjoyable process. I will say this. Don't rush. Do read the manual carefully. Do measure twice and cut once. Do look at pictures for orientation. Enjoy it. And if something goes wrong, you'll be amongst friends and able to get help.