Building away...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

So some things I am finding...
    1. You need to use Allan wrenches to guide the screw holes on the steppers while building the Titans it's mentioned but it's easy to miss.
    2. The instructions for the tool build state that the cable path for the heat sink cable should go through the same hole in the bracket as the downward fan cable and the heater cable. The cables for this fan are WAY TOO short for this cable path! Instead I simply bypassed the bracket hole and now all 3 connectors are at the same height for much easier access... BTW I am NOT looking forward to attempting to connect the PTFE tubing to the top of the V6. The coupling is now way deep in there.
    3. The HT bed heater needs a thermal fuse!
    4. Be REAL skimpy when using that thread lock crap and for sure use the lighter grip type.
    5. Use a drill bit and ream out the holes on the non tapped printed parts so that the bolts do not thread into the plastic. It makes assembly way easier.

#1 Andy Cohen, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you post photos of the tool you have assembled and the fans please. The wires should be more than long enough.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Yep. I did the same thing. I don't think there's any real downside.

I did that during the build of the third tool. In particular, the cable bracket and the piece that sits on the receiver are troublesome if not fully reamed. I lived with it on the first two tools. I'm sure I'll eventually go back and alter those too. I think on the first two I just ended up continuing to screw after the screw went all the way in, before connecting to the metal, but it was much more satisfying to have them loose during the third tool.

4. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

With the heat sink fan, definitely a short cable, if fed as instructed it would basically put the connector inside the cable holder at the top. Here is how it ends up for me:

[​IMG]

That’s with me holding the cable so its as far up as it will go. Looking the build instructions though it looks pretty similar there. So I guess the question is whether it is intentional or not that the connector ends up in the cable holder. Likely I’ll end up re-routing too.

In general I have been making comments in the guide itself as I go when I find things (e.g., there is a step where it says prepare M3x6 screws then next steps talk about M3x8). Not sure if that is the best place but it seems to work well in other guides that use Dozuki.

5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Yeh, that's fine. the cables that plug into it go inside the toolhead and dont stick out the top. if you look further on in the guide in the wiring section it shows how it goes.

Paul Arden likes this.
  6. Andy Cohen

Here's how I routed the cable. If the cable is routed through the aluminum bracket as the other 2 are then it cannot be removed unless you tear down most of the parts. The printed fan bracket blocks the path so that the plug cannot be oriented to go back through the hole. Chance are the other 2 plugs for the heater and the downward fan can't be removed without a tear down as well.

Attached Files:

#6 Andy Cohen, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

You have the heater cartridge and thermistor going in from the wrong side of the heater block. The wires will get in the way of the locking mechanism and cause tool pick-up and drop-off fails.

Please reassemble as shown in the documentation. The fan cable should be ok where it is though.

8. Andy Cohen

Thanks. Luckily that was the only one.

Greg Holloway likes this.