Buzzing/Vibrating eminating from ir endstop housing

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by AndyVirus, Oct 2, 2016.

1. AndyVirus

AndyVirus Well-Known Member

Hello,

Anyone got any idea what the buzzing sound from my print head is? I can feel the vibrations strongly from the ir z endstop housing but its not originating there. Not sure how much im bothered about this with the new dual independent heads/caridge hopefully emerging in a few weeks (is im gonna be all over that :) ) but if its something easy ill get it fixed. Any ideas?

#1 AndyVirus, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

Fans maybe. they are not tight fitted on the head, so they make noise. My fix: my business card cut in small triangle piece and inserted between the fan blue plastic holder and the aluminium stuff. no noise anymore.

3. AndyVirus

yeah thought it was the fans so tried a bit of foam on the rim of the fan holder. They were tight anyway not uber tight but noise persists. It seems to be coming from the IR sensor mount as it only when i dampen the end of that with my finger that it stops but i can feel the vibrations strongly still on my finger suggesting something with more umph than the fans. Im thinking either the titan/motor or the z axis motor as i can feel the vibrations on the z axis belt too.

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Just check that any of the fan blades are damaged, as an inadvertent finger can take a lump off one. This has happened to me and others and the result was strong vibration.

5. AndyVirus

Momentarily stopped bith fans during a print and noise continued so not the fans. Only happens when moving in the X axis. Silent on Y axis. I have changed all the bearings in hope that it would go away but alas it remained. It does sound metalic. Its not affecting my printing but i do wonder if it is affecting quality as its quite a strong vibration.

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

The other thing would be some missalignment causing binding in the bearings...and really the only way you'll discover that is to slacken off the belt and see how it is for free movement. The way to do this without dismantling the extruder is to use the belt tensioner to slacken the belt (remembering that on that tightening the screw slackens the belt) and then you can undo the grub screw on the motor pulley.