C axis sensorless homing works

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by orcinus, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Problematic Titan? That's no joke. I remember why I ditched them now and went bondtech on my other printers, hateful extruder (big fan of E3D's other products of course). I ordered four of them due to wanting my machine to be up and running asap and the implication that changing a standard order would incur delays. One of the covers completely shattered the other day and they all require frequent adjustment of the screw through the drive gear.

I've been tinkering with sensorless homing and used your scripts to help me out: thank you for posting them. They haven't though really. Cold homing is a pain unless I use the standard settings, which have coocked my steppers (to be fair, I've not helped that, it's not a fault of the deisgn, just unrefined firmware which we all expected and me running the machine at an ambient 60 degrees (apart from the electronics enclosure that sees no more than 20)).

Anyway: Just taken delivery of the Omron endstops to get rid of all this nonsense (don't have any 3030 T-Nuts in my supplies though! Typical!). The C axis sensorless homing is nice, and something I meant to get round to sorting.

2. Digi2life

Digi2life Active Member

I'm still trying to burn this reminder into my brain: check tool is not loaded before homing. This definitely needs to be addressed and I like your idea.

3. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

Wouldn't switching it to home the z axis at the maximum (plate at the bottom) instead of the minimum solve this?

Z max homing has a lot of advantages in a normal printer and even more in a tool changing one. I switched my Mendel to do max z homing and never looked back.

Z min homing is a relic of when we used grub screws to dial in a switch position exactly perfectly to match the build surface in hardware because firmwares were not as advanced as they are nowadays when we all do final z tuning/leveling in the firmware.

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

IMO the solution is a microswitch to detect that a tool is loaded, and the conditional Gcode that is coming soon in RRF3.

orcinus and Jonas like this.
  5. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Yea, looking forward to that too. One on each docking station allows logic to say which tool the machine has loaded on a cold start too.