Calibration problem?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by 3dMove, Sep 20, 2016.

1. 3dMove

3dMove Member

Hi, we have improved the print quality since the first attempt, we have found the printing problem was the ir sensor (slighty crooked), but still have issues with the chimney in the benchy.

In the image attached, the first attempt was in original size, there is excess of plastic in the hull.
    The second one, same as the first but 50% of the original size, a bunch of plastic in the hull, bad chimney and plastic shavings.
    We have corrected the ir sensor and the result is the third one, have a little imperfection in the hull (without excess of plastic), but still getting shavings and a bad chimney.
    The settings are used:
    PLA temp 220
    Bed temp 60
    100 microns
    30% infill

And have changed the z axis voltage to 0.45v

IMG_20160920_204739 1.jpg

Any ideas?

PD. Thanks in advance and sorry for my crappy english.

2. Alexandre Beyls

Not sure it is the best advice, but 220 seems a bit hot for PLA. Personally I print PLA at 190 (but I admit that I'm not a big 3D printing expert)

3. 3dMove

3dMove Member

Thank for your response, we have used the temp recommended for the manufacturer (BQ), i'll try to print at lower temps, and see how it goes. :)

4. Martin Low

Martin Low Member

I'm far from an expert but will do my best.
    As far as I'm aware the IR sensor is purely for homing and levelling the bed so once the print has started it has no job so I wouldn't expect that to cause you any issues higher up on the build other than the first few layers.
    If you have reduced the print size by 50% you must watch your nozzle size is suitable. What nozzle size are you using?
    What software are you using for slicing? I would maybe post what profile you are using and also some of your settings as people may be able to suggest some changes. I would be concerned with the retraction from those photos and speed of the tool but I reiterate I'm no expert.

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Have you calibrated your e-steps to make sure you're extruding the correct amount of filament? Even if you've got the e-steps set, it's worth doing some solid small test cubes to check their dimensions and fine-tune your extrusion rate.

Other than that, some of the drooping could be down to too high nozzle temperature or not enough cooling - what fan speeds are you using? You've also got some stringing which might mean you need to increase retraction (although be careful not to set it too high for a V6 as this can cause jams).

6. 3dMove

3dMove Member

Well, I'm using simplify3d, the nozzle is 0,40, and I can upload the profile I've used, the version of the BigBox is 1.1 we got the pro titan hybrid version stock.
    I've done the extrusion calibration, now got 411 in extrusion. The fan speed is 60% and the reatrction is set to 1,50.
    Profile uploaded.
    Thanks for your answers, we are printing a top mount filament, cause sometimes do not extrude. 200 micron 215 º.
    I will post the result.

Attached Files:

7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

220 does seem a bit high, 215 or 210 seems better.

Also, are these primarily problems on the front of the print? I found the hybrid fan shroud really bad as it really only targets the front of the print - Greg has put a new one on Thingiverse.

I'd be interested to see if the 0.2 comes out better than your 0.1. 411 esteps sounds okay. Your heated bed is at 100 I think, try 50 or 60 instead maybe.

mike01hu likes this.
  8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Because of the cooling problems that @PsyVision mentioned, I rotated the model 90 degrees to allow a better air flow. Best to print a new fan shroud from here.

9. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's an illusion but number 2 looks shorter in length than 3. Could be wide angle lense distorting but always worth measuring the print versus the model if you have problems.

10. 3dMove

3dMove Member

Thanks for your responses, I've been a bit busy and the result of the 200 micron test was a failure, the roll of the filament was not moving.
    So I decided to change the sensor mount and the firmware, Alex9779 firmware.
    Then did a mesh level, calibrate extrusion steps (now got 418 in 100mm test), calibrate the sensor and improvising a filament roll mount... (I know, is a bit precarious), now i'm printing a temp tower at 60º of bed temp.
    Yes @PsyVision, the problem only appears in the front. I need to modify the dual alternative to single extruder.

Attached Files: