COMPLETE Camera positioning

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd post this to explain what happened and how I fixed it.

My camera seemed OK initially. Fortunately I had plugged it into the right port and it wasn't friend. The picture was not brilliant and the timelapses were poor, but after a bit of reading and tweaking, that all improved a great deal. But then, I start noticing that my movie was half about the printer and half about the space above the printer, so the angle wasn't great.

At first I thought about designing a replacement arm with a ball joint. Thingiverse had a few options I might be able to tweak, but before I did that I had another look at the camera. There were a couple of issues. Firstly I hadn't tightened the lower screw, which helps to angle it down, and in addition, the camera had become unstuck from the circuit board. Or maybe it was never stuck, in any case that gave me another option. Rather than stick it completely down, I just added a small dob of superglue to the bottom of the camera lens and stuck that down, thus helping angle the camera down further.

This is how it currently looks, as a guide:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the view this now gives:

[​IMG]

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

What settings have you opted for? I tried 1280 x 720 and it wouldnt work so I'm on 640 x 480 :/ I do have the nozzle about center screen as you have though.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have:
    Code:
    camera_raspi_options="-x 1024 -y 768 -fps 10"
    and it looks like this:
    bigbox.alitecs.local.jpeg

PsyVision likes this.
  4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Aaah! See I think I did w and h not X and Y, thanks!

5. Spoon Unit

I think there were two or three settings I ended up with:

octopi.txt

camera_usb_options="-r 1280x720 -f 10"
    camera_raspi_options="-fps 10 -x 1280 -y 720"

config.yaml

webcam:
    bitrate: 12600k

PsyVision likes this.
  6. Spoon Unit

@Alex9779 , given that you have a UM2, I'm curious what drove you to a BB? Perhaps it was all hype, but I'd come to the understanding that UM2 was a fantastic piece of machinery. Now you've got both, how do you think they compare?

Hmmm - that's a complete tangent to the thread ...

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not tangent, off topic ;)

My feelings about the UM2 are ambiguous. I can't really tell what my problems are or why I thought I go BB.
    My greatest problems with the UM2 is the extruder, the hotend and the bed.
    I fixed the extruder mostly by printing my own and changed the hotend to be able to switch nozzles.
    But I really hate the bed. I have problems for example with the right back corner. For some silly reason that corner drop for about 0.5mm than the others. You got only three points you can adjust the height of the plate, back in the middle and in the front left and right.
    I disassembled the whole XY system hoping something is with the case that the axes somehow raise in that corner but they are not. I am up to buy a new glass, maybe the one I got is not flat.
    And what I hate the most is that I am somehow not able to reproduce fast prints or settings others say they work great... For me not. I dunno why. For some time I was not able to print PLA at 210. I had to print at 220-225 to get normal results at 50mm/s.
    Now that I switched the extruder this is better and my conversion to be able to print 1.75mm filament made it even better. Did that mostly of the BB to be able to use the same filament.
    I still do not know what to do with it. Keep it, sell it... We will see...
    Sometime i get really good prints of it, sometimes I have easy models and fight with things I thought I fixed a long time ago... It so much up and down.
    By building my own printer from the scratch I thought I could get some insights which may help me with that machine too...

Spoon Unit likes this.