Can I change layer height on the fly ?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, May 2, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

The print I'm doing is going to take longer than I expected, changing the layer height would help if it can be done on the fly?

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's quicker to stop and start again. ;)

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

No and Yes.

No, there's no way the printer can recalculate the model print at a new layer height; that's not its job.
    Yes but it'll be tricky. If you reslice it at a different layer height and work out which layer you want to switch over to the new layer height, you can replace rewrite the file that the printer is printing from. Printing from a network share, the file is buffered a little a time by Octoprint. So, let's say you're on layer 50. You figure layer 55 would be the right place to change. You use Notepad++ or some similar tool to edit the file that's being printed and you overwrite from layer 55 onward with the end of the gcode from an alternate slice. It would not be simple, but it would be doable if you think it all through carefully.

4. Old_Tafr

Thanks both.......... I did doubt the ability on the fly, but always worth asking.

Is there a guide to max layer height vs nozzle size?

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope but a rule: layer height <= 0.8 * nozzle

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

People often forget one can increase print speed by increasing extrusion width.

However one needs to thin through all the consequences.

If you go from 0.5mm extrusion width to 0.75mm that's 50% more plastic going out at each pass.

For example,

- manually reduce perimeters from 3 to 2;

- infill will automatically have fewer strands at the same percentage;

So the nozzle travels a lot less to complete the job aka faster!

7. Old_Tafr

Thanks.......... all part of learning, nozzle size, layer height, infill etc. to get a part strong enough but to print in a reasonable time.

Looking forward to Titan so that it's easier to swap hotends/nozzle sizes more easily.

8. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

If you are using Simplify, create a new process and change whatever you need in the new process at your new starting point. You can change infill, layer height, etc in the new process.

9. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

On the big box, it isn't much easier to swap anything, As the hotend isn't actually in the titan, but rather the hotend is connected to the titan using a bowden coupling and ptfe tube that goes through the X-Carriage...

10. Old_Tafr

I thought it was possible to just lift the whole assembly out toward you? So heat sink attached to thermal break and Al heater block all in one. I'm sure I saw this on either a E3D video or YouTube one.

11. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

That's the case for a Titan in its intended guise but it appears that the BigBox Hybrid is still using the X carriage to mount the hotend assemblies. Also, the second extruder is mounted on the back of the box. It is a shame that this is not being used as intended but I assume that @Greg Holloway is working on this for a non-hybrid dual some time in the future. I will be looking at a design once I complete my BB and the project I bought it for unless Richard Horne beats me to it.

12. Old_Tafr

I look forward to your design, having just printed a hybrid X-Carriage carriage whilst waiting for my Titan kit to arrive.

#12 Old_Tafr, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  13. Old_Tafr