Can i run 2 chimeras with TC

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by ryan mckenna, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ryan mckenna

ryan mckenna Member

Am i going to have issues trying to dock a chimera with g-code or in firmware? I want to run 2 chimeras and 2 hemeras but i have independent dual z axis with duet 2 wifi and duex5, is there a way to do it? I just got the tool head on and turning.

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

To run 2 Chimeras and 2 Hemeras, you need 6 extruder motors + 3 axis motors + coupler + your extra Z motor. Total 11. That's within the capacity of a Duet 2 + DueX if you connect one external stepper driver to the CONN_LCD connector. It's easier (but more expensive) with Duet 3.

You will configure it as 6 tools. You can use RRF3 conditional GCode to avoid doing tool pickup/put down when you switch between two tools on the same Chimera.

Nibbels likes this.
  3. ryan mckenna

ryan mckenna Member

what external steppers should I use?

Do I put the conditional g code in the tpre?

I am almost to the part where I need to figure out the conditional g code, if its easy can someone get me started on the g code to not pick up or dock a tool with a chimera?

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I've realised that you need a new object model variable to do what you want, one that tells you what the incoming tool number will be that you can use in the tfree file to tell whether to dock the current tool or not. I'll add that in RRF 3.01-RC11.

5. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I was wrong, the next tool number is already available. Please ask at https://forum.duet3d.com/ and one of us will help you there.