SOLVED Can't change Toolhead/Nozzle offsets in S3D

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by ndpg, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ndpg

ndpg Active Member

I've been trying to fine tune the nozzle offsets so that the output from each is perfectly aligned. I've been using the traffic cone which shows any misalignment nicely. The exact offsets can be entered into S3D but the print ignores them and comes out the same every time. I tried adding a pre-print script to OctoPrint to no avail. I think the script generated by S3D overrides it because it runs later. Looking at the GCODE there is a M218 T1 X38 Y0 command but it doesn't match the settings entered in S3D (it should be M218 T1 X38.4 Y0.3) . I'm guessing that it is a simple default setting because it is what it would be if everything was perfect. If I hack the file to have the right setting the print works.

Any suggestions for how to get S3D to add the right settings to the GODE file?

I'm using the S3D profiles posted by Alex on GitHub which usually work fine.

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

The offset is coded into the gcode tool change script, if you update it there it should work. I think part of commissioning guide mentions this as well but not sure.

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

In S3D, remove the offset configured in the profile (set it to 0,0) and add "M218 T1 X38.4 Y0.3" as part of the Start Script (on one of the final tabs of the process profile)

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

S3D does not set the offset with M218 if you activate it.
    Actually it alters every moves coordinates for the tool the offset is set for.
    Also just setting the values does nothing. You have to activate "Apply toolhead iffset to g-code coordinates" on G-Code tab...

5. ndpg

ndpg Active Member

Thanks, I had assumed that S3D would be altering and sending the M218 command appropriately. I had tried the "Apply toolhead offset....." but the print preview showed that the two 'colors' would be printed apart so I gave up on that approach. I'll just edit the M218 script. It looks like I only have to edit the "Both Extruders" and "Both Extruders Oozeless/Ram Purge" settings and they will apply to all filament types.
    Between OctoPrint and S3D there are five places where the nozzle offset data can be entered. Of course, I'd tried the four that didn't change anything!

BTW Alex, thanks for your SD3 profiles and firmware. They have got me and many others functioning much more quickly than would have otherwise been the case. That said, little problems like this a great for gaining and understanding of how it all works.

Alex9779 and Pierce like this.
  6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah the display is weird if you turn the offset on because the interpreter seems not aware that there is an offset active and just renders absolute coordinates. You can consider this right and wrong depending on your viewpoint...

I have a firmware on my box where I added a menu entry to be able to change the offset on the fly while printing in X and Y for the second tool. That is pretty cool...