Can't get RPi to boot with image

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So I tried booting off the Octopi image and it doesn't work. I took it to other pis and it doesn't work. Refreshed the card, still doesn't work. Basically freezes during boot of "new high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc-otg". I've got a bazillion rpis and never had this issue. Anyone else had it?

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Is it a bad sd card?

My card came with raspbian by default so I flashed it to OctoPrint and booted straight away no issues at all!

3. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

No issues here as well. I just flashed the disk using the OSX terminal and the linked iso. As soon as I inserted the disk, the rpi was booting up and ready.

4. Henry feldman

So formatted the card, flashed it with octopi, via terminal in OS X (I build robots with pis so this I do all the time) and it locks up on boot. Refreshed the card with raspian and boots perfectly. Then I reformatted, readded octopi and locks up again. So then tried it all on a second pi2 on my desk which is running a testing rig, and worked, put octopi on that machine, locked up... So just doing it from source. Can't be that bad!

5. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Are you using the stable build or nightly?

Also if your pi a 2 or 3 in bigbox? Would need to be nightly build for pi 3 as it's so new at moment.

6. Henry feldman

It was a pi2 (or several actually, along with multiple SDs), as I could see no compelling reason to use one of my 3's as it's not like the slow part of 3D printing is the g-code serving (and my whole house is wired with cat6, so there is a jack near the printer). Anyway, built from source perfectly, boots and runs fine (well it did until I accidentally made a typo in the sudoers file (hahaha, don't do that; no seriously!)), luckily just popped the SD onto one of my RHEL boxes, and can directly edit the file to remove the typo.

7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Henry feldman nothing we can do about a random typo breaking things :) glad your all sorted!

8. Henry feldman

Strangely @Pierce, the webcam doesn't autostart with the service nor does the command actually start the webcam, but from the CLI if I execute /home/pi/scripts/webcam start it works fine... It's responding on zeroconf (bigbox.local) and assuming a manual start of the cam, everything else is working great. Got the slack plugin sending custom messages to a private slack channel for me at work...

9. Henry feldman

And I will add, this XKCD seemed the most appropriate:
    [​IMG]

Pierce likes this.