Can't Print With Edge

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Chase.Wichert, May 21, 2016.

1. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

It doesn't stick to the bed, 80c bed temp printing at 225C Dark Crystal Edge Filament, I have tried on UHU (kind of sticks to this), The special glass protector that richard suggested doesn't work at all, it will kind of stick but the filament keeps getting stuck to the nozzle and as it prints it just curls up behind it, or if it goes over another strip of plastic it will grab it and take it with it. I thought Edge was supposed to be easy to print. What am I doing wrong?

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I think @Sanjay might give some guidance here as I am also about to use Edge and want an easy entry into it.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What is your problem with UHU stick?
    The screen protector has a worse adherence than the normal glass. But with UHU I get everything to stick. UHU (in my case Tesa) is what I use most. It has a nice attribute it seems to get sticky again even it dried before when it gets in contact with the hot plastic...

4. mike01hu

OK Alex, I'll give that a try as that is what it says on the box(!). I tend to go low on bed temperature to encourage faster cooling to Tg but I will have to play here. So far I have been using Slic3r but will transition to S3D shortly once I get the machine dialled in to my satisfaction.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Tried a Slic3r print yesterday. Was ok just transferred the settings but I am not pleased with the settings distribution! The first layer stuff is related to filament IMHO... And there are others I can't remember atm which should be in other sections too...

Miasmictruth and mike01hu like this.
  6. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I put a PEI sheet on my chipped glass bed, and sanded it with 1000grit sandpaper. It seems to be working very well, however I did have some lifting before the sanding, so I put a few skirt layers to help keep it down, not sure if it needs it post sanding, but it is the dual titan x carriage, so I wanted it to be flat.

7. mike01hu

I have just completed a trial job with Edge for appraisal before doing it with CF. It is a fair size with a long bed area and the finish is good apart from S3D thinking it's 0.5mm wider than Slic3r does and printing curves as a series of straight lines, yet produced from the same STL and transfered settings unchanged to the S3D process!! I printed with 200nm layers, no extrusion multiplier and 220C nozzle and 75C bed on the glass coated with my 5:1 Water and PVA juice. I left it to completely cool and it just lifted off the bed! A bit p'd off with S3D as I don't like its management of curved paths, it seems that it does not use the firmware curve generation. But I will be happy with Edge if it carries on like this.

#7 mike01hu, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I used 3d-Eez, so far it has worked great for PLA, PETG, XT and EDGE, and if you left it cool all the way down the prints pop off easy so far.

My issue with edge is goobers vs inter-layer adhesion, I have some experimenting to do. Has anyone managed a strong goober free print what has multiple spires or legs.