Carriage movement so stiff I wonder if sensorless endstops are being triggered

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by W1EBR.Gene, Aug 6, 2020.

1. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Hello! I just fired up the motion system and issued a "home y" and the system seems to jog the carriage and bed slightly and then stop. The tool head is so hard to move that I wondered if it was shipped with a friction lock to keep things from sliding around in shipment. My guess is that the stepper chips see how hard it is to push the carriage and figure that it must be in the home position.

Has anyone had this problem?

2. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Are you using stock configs? Mine was actually more the other way stock (not really sensitive enough so would sometimes crash before detecting) but would usually work the next time I tried it. However depending on the configuration it could easily be triggering too easily as well.

The carriage definitely requires a fair amount of effort to move by hand (which obviously I avoid in general or at least do slow to avoid generating current) but with the belt configuration that is expected. I don't have the impression movement poses any difficulty given the speed with which travel moves are happening.

3. W1EBR.Gene

Yes, I am using the stock configuration. The X axis homes fine (sometimes seems more of a crash than a tap) but the y axis is setting home to be wherever it is located when it is homed.

4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

5. W1EBR.Gene

Hello! I used the setup that Greg has for the tool changer and added your command movement. It seems as if stall detection is hit and miss (i.e. it thinks it is stalled without really moving much most times) and so far I don't know why. "X" homing works just fine.

Update: After a lot of lubricating the blocks and rails things are now moving. I was getting a squealing noise from the Z axis as well before I lubricated. I can see that the blocks were lubricated when it was assembled but I am not sure if the rails were. I also moved one on the motor drive cogs slightly higher on the motor shaft because I wondered if the belt rubbing on the top of the cog's belt guide might be adding undue friction...

#5 W1EBR.Gene, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020