CF-20 collecting debris on the nozzle

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Helmi, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Helmi

Helmi New Member

Hey guys,

I'm using an E3Dv6 in a bowden setup on an Eusthatios self-build.

Basically i'm quite happy with how everything works but the CF-20 is driving me crazy. I seem to always have to try for days until getting a good print. The problem is that the steel nozzle i'm using (well actually this was already the same in the past with the brass nozzle) is collecting debris from the print quite easily. While the print itself looks good there still something to collect and after a while it drops a bit of the collected, melted debris onto the print. Due to the rigidity of the material this is mostly a deal breaker as get lost steps as soon as the nozzle gets caught on this drops.

Anyone with similar effects?

I already tried extruding more and less. both seem to make things worse. I'm on 1,75mm material printing without any extrusion reduction currently.

Bed is at 80°C (sticking well) and nozzle at ~260° (already tried other temps).

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I have the same problem and I am in touch with ColorFabb to find a solution. Unfortunately, they are just telling me to do things that I have already done but I am waiting for their latest response. I will post any outcome in the "Filament" threads where you will see my current thread on CF20. With ColorFabb settings of 250C/70C and 0.2mm layer with 100% extrusion multiplier, I found that reducing the flow rate to 85% did have some effect but not perfect. My suspicion is that the micro-fibres in the filament provide a bridging link between the nozzle surfaces and the extruding filament to provide a path along which filament will track but it may also be that filament pulls up behind the nozzle and sticks. The last suggestion from ColorFabb was to increase the print speed but I have yet to try that.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a similar discussion in this thread.
    It is a known problem and no real solutions yet...

4. aclertant

aclertant Member

5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Would you care to write a summary? I do not understand French and not sure what I'm looking for in a picture.

6. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

In summary they believe the sharp corner between the circumference of the nozzle tip and the side of the nozzle is the problem and they suggest eliminating it by rounding that off, the pictures are helpful if the French isn't :)

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  7. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I used Google translate and essentially he says that he polished the sharp edges of the nozzle tip to give them a slightly rounded appearance. I am not happy with modifying the shape of the tip as this determines track uniformity and overlap but I am willing to try at some point. I will update my thread here in the "filament" section when I get around to doing any change and testing.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  8. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

9. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I was similarly concerned.

I can see how the mod could work to reduce the pickup on the nozzle, but it is unclear what the effect on overall quality of the print would be...

10. aclertant

aclertant Member

yep in the tread they said that you should polish the nozzle. But not to much (as the last cao draw explain) because the rest will be the max width you could use/define in your slicer.

Btw they also says that the global quality is better, especially the top surface (there is less strip on top)

I did this mod on my only one hardened nozzle... So I've been very carefull and it work very very well ! I was realy surprise but it's a good news ;)

I've done this using a dremel and a big stone like this : http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1SPif...ls-bijoux-dentaires-polissage-disque-plus.jpg

Without removing my hotend (yes on the fly but carefully)

In the french post they explain that you should use a drill (block the nozzle in the drill) and make it turn fast while smoothing the sharp edge.

mike01hu likes this.
  11. aclertant

aclertant Member

So I can confirm that the trick work well !

I accomplish for the first time with it, a long time print, 12 hours without cleanning the nozzle and everything is ok :)

Now I have a last problem, other kind of trouble :(
    It's about support, it tend to pop out... too easily or it's sticking too much (depending on setup)

I use simplify 3d, have you found a good setup for support ?