Changes needed to use 3mm Filament?

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Old_Tafr, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have a BigBox Dual I built from a Kickstarter purchase, so it has the original X-Carriage, V6 extruders etc. i.e. not Titan, and I use 1.75mm filament. At present I use PLA and ABS.

I'm thinking of using Edge, no fumes, better adhesion etc.

I was about to order when I noticed some colours were only available (at least on the E3D site) in 3mm not 1.75mm, not a problem but do I have to change anything on my present setup?

e.g.

• ptfe tubes guiding filament from spool to X-Carriage?

• Any parts between where the filament enters the the X-Carriage (collet?) all the way through to the nozzle?

I'm about to look through the parts I have left from the build to see if any indicate they are for 3mm not 1.75mm, plus I will look through the build instructions for any reference to 1.75 or 3mm but in the meantime any advice appreciated.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

The colours are available in both sizes. I expect one has run out of stock in 1.75mm.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg.

I appreciate you are on the technical side not sales, but maybe a note to someone on how the website (doesn't) work?

It's the way the website works, if a size is out of stock the page only shows the sizes in stock (reasonable assumption) but if not all sizes are out of stock the page does not show "Out of Stock" it just shows the sizes that are available which in the case of what I looked at was 3mm. I had therefore (wrongly) assumed that a particular colour was (inexplicably) unavailable. It would be better to always shows the sizes available and then next to each say as necessary "Out of Stock"

Another anomaly? is that you can order a "bundle" of Edge filament and get a discount, except when one or more colours in the bundle are out of stock. In this case the web page does not say "Out of stock" at all instead the "options" (assumed sizes etc.) field is blank so you just can't order the bundle as you can't choose an option............ even though you are prompted to!

A note saying, This colour is out of stock, would you like to choose a different colour" would be really user friendly :)

As there are far more colours available than the six in the bundle it would be good to be able to order "any six" and get a discount, or better still simply get a discount based on quantity?

I hope you can pass on these comments to sales.

Thanks again...

4. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I did mention this after I saw your post, they are already aware :)