COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

An Idex conversion of Chase Wichert's dual direct titan design with full build area for both heads!
    Dual idex.jpg

See this as an homage to Chase's work, I have just botched around with his ideas.

Credit must also go towards Alex9779 for his work on fan shrouds and other bits and pieces here and there.

Another thing that got me going on this was Greg Holloways direct idex conversion.
    I printed all parts for this but what dawned upon me was the steppers he chose, Nema 14 with 34mm body length

What was not good was the reduced build area, and going bowden was never an option for me.

This got me thinking about the dual direct titan, with smaller steppers what could be done?

Enough of a rant.

Parts not changed and re-used from Chase Wicherts design from dual direct design are:

X bearing clamps (included)
    X-belt tensioner (included)
    IR-mount if you want to use the IR sensor (included)
    longer nozzle wipe frame: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1641748

In addition to that:
    6x3mm magnets (8 pcs)
    Note; you need 3mm thick magnets, not 4mm as in the original design. this is to allow a somewhat deeper Z height.
    Otherwise the extruder carrier needs yet another redesign (raise *ears* by 2mm or so)

GT2 belting:
    Y belts: With compact Y-tensioners (see below on Y-axis note): 698 (left) and 706mm (right)
    X and U belts 1016mm (you might be able to loose another 2mm from that, tightening capacity is sparse and it could be troublesome to attach a shorter belt properly)

Stepper motors for X and U-axis (Nema 14 max 34mm body length, I'm using OMC 14HS13-0804S) (2)

GT2 pulley 20t (1 additional, I suspect you already have one)

Bearings for second X-axis belt idler F604zz (2 pcs)

Linear bearings LM8LUU 8x15x45 (2 pcs)

Print fan 40x40mm (1 pcs)

Microswitches Omron D2F-FL3-D (2 pcs) used as X and U-stops, similar microswitches will do I guess
    (similar to bigbox standard parts, but arm is a little bit shorter, should be more repeatable)

Various bolts, nuts and washers (leftovers from the bigbox build was enough for me)

---- Notes----

Space in X is understandably a bit limited, I used the smallest nema 17 "pancake" steppers (17HS08-1004S), X axis build space could be
    compromised with thicker ones (they add more weight too)

Print tips:

Print fan shrouds are best printed with some sort of high temperature material (Colourfabb HT or something similar) as they come awfully close to heater blocks and heaters.

Note: the BL-touch carriage needs support material where the Z probe mounts!

X-carriages:

BLtouch Z-sensor; print one carriage of each, the IR carriage is used for the right hand carriage

If you want to use a BL-touch sensor. Print a couple of BL-touch shims of varying thickness, there is no adjustability of probe height otherwise.
    What I did, in S3D, make 4-5 copies of the shim and scale each one different in Z (0,5mm to 3,0mm in 0,5mm steps is enough, uncheck uniform scaling, only scale in Z!)

IR Z-sensor; print two IR-carriages and use the IR sensor on the left one (sensor to the front)

----other----

Y axis:
    Some more "elbow room" at the front is needed to be able to reach zero Y with the left nozzle
    For this, use the included "compact" Y-belt tensioners and the 15mm longer drag chain anchor

Also, there is a clash between the stock Y-motor mount and the right hand X-carriage at (Y>235mm)
    for this, use the modified Y-motor mount with a corner taken off, it is close but works.

Wiring: I have all wiring routed to the "forward" posts on both heads, otherwise things will be difficult with max Y. Heater cables are what needs to be addressed, they are a bit on the short side.

Movement limits as I have them set up:

X: -27mm to 300mm (setting screw all the way to bottom)
    U: 0mm to 330mm (head of setting screw about xmm out)
    Y: 0mm to 240mm (Head of setting screw about 7mm out)
    Z: 0mm-300mm

Attached Files:

#1 Björn, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Dual direct titan idex with full bed reach with both nozzles? Yeah I think that would finally convince me to stop just thinking about it and actually do the upgrade, including duet wifi and all the other things I've been 'planning'.

That's one I really do want to see.

3. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

I'm not shure this can be done yet..

4. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

x carriage test v8 v1.jpg This is as far as I've got with the X-carriage, nozzle offset will still be 29,5mm or so in x (perhaps 30mm to be safe from crashes) View attachment 3074

5. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have everything purchased and printed for bowden, just finished the duetwifi/bltouch upgrade. But if you pull this off then I might have to switch :)

6. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

I'm still not shure if possible... :)

7. Miasmictruth

No worries, :) it will probably be a couple more weeks before I will be able to convert anyway. If you do manage it, try to incorporate a IR/BLTOUCH mount if you can.

8. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Have a BL touch, in a box here, so that is on the list

9. Miasmictruth

Awesome, I finally was able to get the duet and bltouch integrated and a few nice prints off last week. I had planned bowden but there is no sensor mount for that yet either

10. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

I had been toying with the idea of getting a pair of zesty nimbles, but didn't really want to spend that much on it yet - plus I already have a pair of Titans waiting to be fitted :), so if you do manage to get this working or even close enough, then that for me will be the winner.

I have a BL Touch (bought for another printer and still not fitted - I seem to have a lot of 'waiting to find time' stuff) but at the moment I'm very happy with the IR sensor on the Clever 3D bed, so either would be fine for me :)

I'm really interested to see how well this turns out :D

11. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

I will also register my interest here.

12. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

x carriage test v8 v21.jpg Hmm..

mike01hu likes this.
  13. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

this is almost what i thinking. How it works if you do that x-motor carriage to both side. One motor each of side. That is then already mirrored and second motor is different edge.

14. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

It seems to be less room on X on the left side for some reason. I still have not started on that side Y carriage...

15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Wohooo! Left extruder seems to be able to go to 300 in x x carriage test v8 v21.png

16. Folkert Kaman

Folkert Kaman Well-Known Member

Definitely think that you are on the right track with this design.

Had been toying with the idea myself, but other projects have kept me busy. Keep up the good work!

17. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Looking good :)

18. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

What motor size is it room for in that position?

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am definitely interested too. Looks great. Didn't think this is possible...

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the reason was that on the initial design the motor for X has been just on the right side and left was just an idle carriage. The box is not symmetric. So there was a need of a little more space on the right side than on the left...