COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Jaysen DAYDREAMn Well-Known Member

I have all my parts with the exception of the print cooling fan. What in the world are those fans called? Where can I order them from?

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Those are called "Radial Cooling Fan", pay attention to the size and voltage (24V). You can find them at Ebay...

3. Jaysen DAYDREAMn

Jaysen DAYDREAMn Well-Known Member

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Jaysen DAYDREAMn likes this.
  5. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

How is this conversion working for you folks? Print quality good? Any major pitfalls?

I've printed most of the parts, less high temp ones and still need to order some additional hardware. My original KS dual setup is working reliably but I think I'm just aboutt ready to make the plunge. I cant pick up a Duet board until the fall time frame, but thats also definitely on the roster.

6. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Maybe my view is not entirely objective, but I'm not looking back, no problems so far even with huge dual head prints. Only thing I'd reprint on mine is fan shrouds with soluble internal support to reduce internal stringing. And a more elegant solution as to wiring (mine looks rubbish). Thinking of doing pigtails from each head with connections at the upper back of the printer in some way.

Proto_BB and Chris Toast like this.
  7. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

Hi @Folkert Kaman
    I have completed my IDEX build (Alex's design) and have stayed with the Rumba for now using your very helpful RC BugFix firmware profile as a starting point.
    I'm now starting to think about the Simplify 3D profile for a Dual X configuration and finding very little guidance anywhere about which settings I need to change. I have highlighted some of the settings that look as though they might be important here.
    Do you have a working profile you can share please?

S3D_IDEX.JPG

8. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I just finished "pass 1" for my IDEX plus Nimble build and would like to use your new Y axis tensioners? Would you be willing to send me the file or a pointer?

9. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I'm happy to share but it may take me a day to verify their status. I had completed the idler redesign, but then I redesigned the front frame panel and waterjet cut it with a new mounting pattern that lets me pull the Y-rods out through the front panel. In other words I never tested the ones with the old mounting pattern. I've been using the new pattern ones for several weeks and are very happy with them.

W1EBR.Gene likes this.
  10. Sjoerd de Haas

why the pt100 board, the thermo sensor is only 4,50 and need so extra hardware?

11. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I had to make a few changes to make these mount to the original BigBox frame. (I prefer the EphBox versions I am currently using, but they requires frame modifications :) )

Anyway, try printing these and see how they look. They are a lot more compact than the original idler brackets and of course you'll need slightly longer Y-belts to use them. Note this replaces your original Y-endstop. You will have to remove the original endstop bracket.

Tell me if I missed anything and I can adjust the drawings as needed.

Attached Files:

W1EBR.Gene likes this.
  12. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! As soon as I can get the IDEX w/Nimbles printing, I will do it :)

13. Hugofitz

Hugofitz Active Member

Hi Folkert,

Not sure if I'm missing something, from the photos it looks like the extruder carrier is also modified but I can't find it anywhere!

Could you point me in the right direction please? I'm in the process of ammasing all the parts to build this :)

Thanks,

Hugo

14. Shinzou

Shinzou Guest

Hi @Björn (or anyone else who might know the answers to these questions),
    After some months now, does your dual printer still running smooth? I just started printing the parts now and have some questions regarding the stepper motors:
    • Firstly: do you think that 21mm pancake motors would fit? the ones I'm interested in is similar to these ones: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/h...-bipolar-unipolar[Bipolar],17-step-angle[0.9]. Do you think that the 1 mm extra is out of question, also: do you think that the torque from 13 down to 11 is viable? The reason for the change is that the ones you had in the description is 1.8deg ones, and the one that are on my machine is 0.9. If the change to 1.8deg isn't a big problem then I would probably go with the ones you recommended.
    Well in any case this will be an interesting build.

Happy printing
    Shin

#254 Shinzou, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
  15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Hi Shin!

Mine is still running strong, just as good as it ever was..

As for the pancakes, I'd say that 1mm is no issue, the is some room for this, I do not know if there is a notable difference in quality as there is already a 3/1 reduction in the titan and acceleration might be limited?

It is very little extra room for the X-axis motors and a redesign could be needed.. Again, I'm not sure if the resolution makes much difference either, a complete step with a 20 tooth pulley would be, hm.. 0,2mm, microstepping this in 16 parts is a bit over 0,01mm. Repeatability of even good quality digital callipers is worse than this. The duet board can even interpolate steps in 256 parts..

Regards
    /Björn

16. Shinzou

Shinzou Guest

Thanks for the reply,
    So I actually went and bought the e3d's titan pancake motors. They fit ok (5mm longer than the ones you recommended), even though it is a little more weight. Hopefully this wont become a big problem later on! For the X and U motor I actually bought two of the ones you recommended and one of the smaller ones that is 0.9deg. It moves kind of slow, but more testing is needed. If it doesn't work properly then I will just change back to the recommended ones. Now the biggest challenge is actually to fix the Marlin firmware so that everything start working as it should (easier said than done)...

But in general, the IDEX system looks so much nicer than the hybrid pro that got shipped with the printer. Once this is up and running I will fix the next printout with personalised holes for cables, a similar molex setup as FKaman, and such things!

Vänligen
    Shin

17. Remco

Remco Member

Can someone tell me what the best printing orientation should be for the printable parts? I am going to prepare for the conversion, and I would like to be sure I am printing the parts correctly.
    And with or without support.. :)

18. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

support only needed for the BL-touch version carriage (under the probe area). I never got the orientation right when converting to STL's. Fusion 360 is a bit confusing sometimes. Here is the correct alignment for all my parts on a tray :)

Attached Files:

#258 Björn, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Paul Seccombe likes this.
  19. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

And this is the only support needed (if you use an IR sensor, don't print this part, this is mentioned in the first post)

Attached Files:

Paul Seccombe likes this.
  20. Remco

Remco Member

Super! Printing away now! :)

Björn likes this.