COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. rvator

rvator Active Member

Great Work Björn!

I started ordering the parts for the IDEX upgrade of my scratchbuilt BB.

Two questions:

1. I thought it is important to keep the moving mass as low as possible. The reason why I have one bowden and one direct extruder at the moment. The IDEX has two additional stepper motors in Y-direction to accelerate. What is your experiance with this setup concerning print-speed & ghosting?

2. Can I stick with my Rumba Board? Has the duett wifi major advantages?

Kind Regads,
    Franz

2. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

yes it is a bit heavier, a drawback of a dual head direct drive. It is still a big improvement of the original big box design. Have not seen any problems with my print speeds (I use anything up to 60mm/s depending of type of print). The issue as I see it is the sag of the steel rods when the gantry is in the middle of the print, the Duet compensates for this but my engineering mind hurts.. haha.

As I understand it is possible to use a rumba for idex, have no experience of it. I got my Duet before I did this.

Have not been doing much new with my printer, it just works...

3. Fabian Stötzel

There it shows the Message that the Tool is not heated up, cause of this the print didn´t start.

I think it´s a problem with the Simplify scrypt configs ?

4. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

I have Idex on the original rumba no problems there. It is actually trivial to set up in firmware and in simplify 3D.
    You have 2 nema14 X axis motors for moving each head and 1 nema17 Y axis motor. I have very little ghosting running 2 zesty nimble extruders. You should be even better with the Bowden one. Speed is the enemy of quality and you will find the happy medium that works for you. I print 40 and 50 mms all the time and 20 or 30 if I want really clean prints.
    Of course you can pick up a lot of speed in your jerk, acceleration and retraction settings. Print time is affected also by layer thickness, wall count, infill type and density, top and bottom layer count, support settings, purge tower or not, etc, etc.

5. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

Make sure that you are setting the temps for BOTH extruders, it is easy to forget to set up all things in s3d. Check the LCD screen, when you press print, do the hotends display the target temps? Can you post a picture of your lcd right after you press print?

6. Fabian Stötzel

I got it ;-) There was something not right in the homeall.g file. I fotgot one command for the U axis ;-)

gonzalo likes this.