COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Just a side thought, if dual direct turns out to take up too much room, would it save any room to do 1 bowden and one direct? So an IDEX hybrid.

2. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  3. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

not much space to save in this configuration I think, most space in X is taken by cooling fan and heatsink. The problem area is the belt tensioner, if anyone can come up with an idea that is more compact than what this design uses. I'd gladly steal the idea

4. Miasmictruth

Checkout the way that Prusa MK2 tensions the belts, I dont like it but it might be worth considering for its space savings.

http://manual.prusa3d.com/Guide/4.+Z-axis+assembly/106

Specifically look at step 21-step24

5. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Hm.. Nah, perhaps not, motors will be very difficult to get at :)

6. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

One drawback with current design, there is absolutely no room for heater and pt100 sensor wires to go trough the hole for the hot end/heatsink/fan hole in the carrier like they do in Chase's original design. This means they will have to be routed around the x-carrier and disconnected every time an extruder "sled" is dismounted. What is the vote on that? To find room for this will give a compromise in Y axis unless new (shorter) Y-belt tensioners are made, and of course a redesign of the whole caboodle. (still not shure if that helps)

7. Miasmictruth

I have connectors on all my wires, they are loose not mounted to the head but works fine.

Just try to make some places for zipties

8. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

For reasons unrelated to your quest, I designed new Y-tensioners that buy you an extra 10-15 mm of travel in Y towards the front. I've printed them but not tested them so I'm not quite ready to post them but I'll get them to you soon™ ;)

9. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm allready working on a small redesign of the X-carriers, seems an extra 2mm or so between X-rods will be enough (room will be taken from the front)

10. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

My vote is for connectors on the wires, so having to disconnect them would be no issue - that certainly (in my opinion) beats the Prusa tensioning method :)

This is looking very good so far - I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it turns out and then fitting it myself.

11. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Ok, with slightly redesigned X-carriages (with cable routing) offsets in X and Y are less than 28 and 16mm (X and Y) X in full travel will be possible with both heads. Still the Y axis to check. Looking forward to Ephemeris Y-tensioners Dual idex direct v5.jpg

12. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Looking good, Björn.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

@Björn looks like Fusion360 do you have this accessible so I can have a look at it?

14. Miasmictruth

15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Print fans! Another mod from Chase's design (with some stolen from Alex). Lh carriage is modified for a BL-touch, the right hand carriage can be printed twice and used on the left hand if IR-sensor is prefered. With the BL-touch on the front side ofthe left hand carriage I believe it can cover 100% of the bed. Dual idex direct v17_1.png Dual idex direct v17_2.png

16. Miasmictruth

Looking pretty great!

I am a little torn I have new rods and all the bits for the bowden upgrade lol but would rather skip that and do this!

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Are those fan ducts modified? They look just imported :D Do they really fit?

18. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

A bit uncertain about having one duct on the back. I think it might limit Y-travel. Maybe having two mirrored ducts in front?

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm then you have problem with the sensor maybe... The back side fan is the left one so it might be a problem with the Y motor, still have my project open and the belts laying around for moving the motor to the outside... No idea if the carriage really has to move that far to the right side...

20. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Ha ha :) I just started mocking up stuff in F360 to see if I'm able to do the same without too much hassle. It's been annoying me to have the motor inside all the time.