COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Funny, your servo viper video made me go for this, things seems to go round in circles :)

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hehe :D
    I think I will have to redesign them if your setup works out. I really like them still I have a dual print to do with them but dropping the purged material rather then building piles in the wiper must be better...

3. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Ditched the dump bucket a long time ago, maybe a really tall one would do. Long dual prints need much more dump volume anyway.

4. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Updated X-motor mount slightly, removed not needed drag chain mount on the rear part. (V2 version of file)

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a look at the carriages and there is some modeling debris:
    BLTouch version:
    Carrier BLtouch V1_1.PNG Carrier BLtouch V1_2.PNG
    IR version:
    Carrier IR version V1_1.PNG
    Magnet clamps:
    magnet clamp v1_1.PNG
    Extruder carrier, slight plane offset of 0.1mm:
    Extruder carrier V1_1.PNG

Also in the motor carriage are the holes for the motors covered by a small skin, is that intended?

#65 Alex9779, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex, note taken :) will fix those this afternoon. No issues with the motor carriage, I did not see that, will have a look but it printed ok yesterday (version V1)

7. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Ok, first post updated. Fixed issues according to post above. :)

Still can't see what Alex sees in the motor mount.. hm..

8. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm maybe just an import problem from the step file...

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Another thing I thought about is why we still need the complex cartridges because nozzle levelling is not needed on an IDEX setup.
    I see some advantages if you wanna remove the extruder for cleaning or switch to a Volcano setup.
    So the magnets could be right in the cartridges parts without the screws...

10. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Now this is a good idea! I like the removable cartridges when replacing nozzles for example, and I also like the ability to run a volcano (not hat I use it at the moment.. The Volcano thing could be done with a different cartridge.

Wow.. this makes for a more stable setup, more repeatable too.. Back to the drawing board.... Thanks Alex!

11. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Bjorn, don't forget that the mirrored Titan is about to be announced!

12. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thought about the mirrored titan, but that would in my opinion mean a less compact design, I doubt that full X could be reached with both heads.

mike01hu likes this.
  13. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Also consider that for dual object synced printing with both heads Z needs to be the same for both so adjusment is useful for that use case ...

14. Folkert Kaman

Folkert Kaman Well-Known Member

Hi,

I printed the extruder carrier with the BLtouch. The fit of the extruder holder in the carrier is very loose. I think this needs to be a tighter fit.

For the rest it printed fine, just forgot to add support under the BLtouch mount. Will have to reprint it anyway.

Thanks for the good work.

Folkert

15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

I noticed that as well today, fix ix coming :) (will be a new date on the zip file on first post) Thickness on new part in rails is 4,2mm so 0,2mm is a good layer setting
    Edit, done

#75 Björn, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah well that an argument but depends on what you wanna do.
    I like the design but I really had problems with creeping heat into the heatsink because of the enclosed hotend fan.
    So at the moment I am waiting for results. Mostly for the printable size, if it gets to 100% bed or near.
    Then I will take the design and modify to a somehow less modular but more fixed one like now extruder cartridge but extruder mounted to the carriage and maybe the second extruder just a bowden carriage.
    Because what I found for me is that I don't switch so much extruders at the moment and I want two running printers now and I wanna focus on quality and support material prints and you can't get good quality if you change vital system components every day.
    One extruder setup, one nozzle size and one material has still so much to tweak so...

mike01hu likes this.
  17. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

All good points, I have had a similar problem with the original Chase's dual Titan design.

Currently I have implemented Greg's Bowden IDEX design which works very well but a) it's Bowden and b) the way the cabling is arranged limits ultimate bed movement and the fans extend beyond the carriages thus only about 260mm jointly in X although I can use the dump area OK. Only about 0.08mm in Z between the nozzles so dual object printing is possible if you aren't too fussy about the first layer.

Bjorn's adaptation of Chase's direct Titan design is very promising. I am in the middle of printing the parts and plan to use Ephemeris' IR carrier design mirrored for the left carriage. I'm a bit worried about the fan design but we'll see how it goes. Greg's solution is very good but I miss the 'crispness' of the print from the dual Titan design.

18. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Hello all! Been toying with an integrated heatsink fan duct on a horizontally splitted X-carriage. The bottom part would contain the heatsink fan and ducting (there is just enough room for the cooling fan under the belt tensioning part of the carriage). This would be bolted to the bottom of a slightly modified x-carriage and will be in place when the extruder cartridge is removed . I got stuck in F360 lofting function though.. Might peruse that idea further if cooling problems arise.

Dual idex direct cartridge mod v3.jpg

#78 Björn, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

If you want someone else to test out some prints, I am happy to print pieces, I can mock up the axis without installing the parts to the printer.

I can pop the bowden v6 and titan off the bigbox and keep the direct drive on for now, I have an extra set of rods and steppers ect.

I am out of stuff to print right now anyway so just message me what stl's you would like printed and at what resolution.

I usually try to print mechanical parts at .3-.35 mm layer heights but it you want something specific let me know.

20. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Very much appreciated, I think my next step is to actually convert my machine, there is not much left to be done at the moment I hope. What I am still a little vary about is if the magnet clamps are secure enough with the screw offset like it is and the magnet on the other end. Will there be any movement of the extruder cartridge?

I'm only waiting for microswitches to arrive by post, then it's conversion time (Be here by the weekend I hope)